• In the Spotlight:

how can I teach my son not to grab my glasses?

It's so frustrating! I can't afford another pair if he breaks them!

jamesmommy12

Asked by jamesmommy12 at 9:20 PM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• as he goes for them take a hold of his arm and remove it from your glasses and say "NO" very forcibly. This is how you will have to take care of many things!! at that age you must show them what NO means!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 9:31 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• i'm going through the same problem! I just grab them out of his hand and in a serious tone say "stop! not a toy! mama needs these". He's barely 1 and doesnt understand every word of course, but he does stop! unfortunately not a one time thing, but I stick with it and it always works
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 9:49 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• if all else fails take 1 finger and " slap" his hand with just 1 finger not real hard just pretty much tap him but it will probably break his little heart and he will know not to do that anymore. good luck
    busymamma503

Answer by busymamma503 at 10:47 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• My 9 month old tries to pull off my glasses too. I usually intercept her and say, "No no, don't grab mommy's glasses! They are Mommy's". Does she stop grabbing at them? Not every time...
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 10:55 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Tell him "no" sternly and give him something to occupy his hands with instead
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 12:10 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Tell him no like everyone else says. But I am of the opinion that he is at an age where if you tell him no forcefully a few times and he still doesnt get it, give him a little slap, just enough to startle him on his hand. He will probably cry, but you have to stick to your guns. Your glasses arent going to be the most hazardous stuff you tell him not to touch. He needs to understand that when you say not to touch then he should touch. If you are against wrist tapping then I dont know what to tell you.
    Hope I was helpful
    HunnysFarAway

Answer by HunnysFarAway at 1:08 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I cant believe so many are suggesting you slap a baby :(
    They DO NOT UNDERSTAND what they are doing is wrong, they are curious, they are exploring, that is how they learn about the world around them, they are NOT trying to be bad and arent trying to annoy us ect.
    I think saying a stern no and REDIRECTING babys attention elsewhere is the best way to go, when he starts messing with your glasses, tell him NO and then give him a toy to play with so he is distracted from your glasses and has something else to play with and explore!
    DONT slap your poor baby, he doesnt understand
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 10:05 AM on Apr. 15, 2009