How can I help my 3 yr old son with his outragous behavior?

My son explodes over the smallest things, constantly. Also very emotional He is very destructive with everything. He rarely makes eye contact. It's impossible for him to be still unless he's asleep. He can't communicate at all with anyone, but speaks well. It seems as though he doesn't understand other peoples' emotions, actions, or communications to him or around him. He is also very sensitive to touch, and sound. "Feels uncomfortable in his own skin." When he does something wrong, he doesn't understand why I'm upset, but he knows he isn't allowed to do that. PLEASE HELP!

Tabbycatgodess

Asked by Tabbycatgodess at 9:40 PM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I have to be honest and tell you that he is showing many signs of autism.

Go to www.childbrain.com there is a good test on there that will give you more info on the symptoms. Its kind of hard to find, look on every part. I wish I could tell you exactly where on the site to find it, I will look and come back in a minute.

By the way my dd has autistic tendancies. ;) Its not the end of the world.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:46 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Have you discussed this with your pediatrician? That is a good place to start. It'll be okay.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:50 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• This definitely sounds like red flags for autism. I am a behavioral therapist working mainly with children with autism, and both of my sons have autism, so I am not just making an off-the-wall categorization. It sounds like you might be thinking along these lines already. Here is a website with a list of 'red flags': www.firstsigns.org
    What you need to do is make an appt w/ your ped. and ask for an autism screening. If they can't/won't do it or if it comes back positive, make an appt w/ a developmental pediatrician. ALSO, call your local elementary school and ask them what you need to do to get an evaluation done for your son. The school system is responsible for handling children with any delays that are over the age of 3.
    Being smart doesn't mean he doesn't have autism, the diagnosis is just a summary of behaviors- not a summary of your child. Read what you can find online, and best of luck!
    www.autismspeaks.org
    Norest4mommy

Answer by Norest4mommy at 10:51 PM on Apr. 15, 2009