Does it make sense to switch my baby to sippy cups if...

...she doesn't know how to hold them yet? She's trying very hard, but so far I have to hold them for her. She is still getting her formula in bottles...I only put water in the sippy cups.

She's 9 months old, and I'm in no rush to take her off of the bottle just yet...I was just wondering if I should make the "big switch" now.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:49 PM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• the key is repetition keep introducing it to the baby and she will get used to it remember it is new to the baby. just give everything she drinks in it except her milk the baby will be grabbing it in no time just give the baby time to figure out what is for
    gaby6286

Answer by gaby6286 at 11:53 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• if your ok with her still having a bottle then dont push her into it! no need to make them rush to grow up

woobie102

Answer by woobie102 at 9:55 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• No, I'm in no rush to make the switch...we are both perfectly content with her using bottles.
    Anonymous

• If you are in no rush to switch her than just take your time with it. Does she hold her own bottle? If not than it will probably take longer for her to be able to hold her own sippy cup...also I have found that my DS does better with the sippy cups that have handles on each side for him to hold on to..he also does better with soft spouts and not hard spouts.
    mag12305cmg

Answer by mag12305cmg at 11:29 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Definitely give them to her.. I wouldn't suggest taking away the bottle yet but let her practice.. my 7 and a half month old is learning to drink from regular cups (can't hold them by himself but he's drinking out of them with help.. ) I'm letting him practice the sippy cup though.. although he doesn't understand that he has to suck lol he wants to bite it
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 12:09 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• When I started to introduce sippy cups I used the ones with the handles on them which made it a lot easier for them to hold on to. Just keep offering it to her and help her hold it and she'll eventually get the hang of it.
    shanibug06

Answer by shanibug06 at 12:36 AM on Apr. 15, 2009