How do you moms stay on track with eating decent?

I have such such such a hard time with it. Let me start by saying I never really have eaten right. I grew up on boxed dinners and fast food, and that's the kind of mom I have turned into, it's horrible! As I've gotten older I've learned good from bad and all that but I'm still such a convenient cooker and eater. Another major problem is that I don't like fruits or veggies... well very few of each.. and it's tough. My husband works at night so after the kids get to bed I like to sit up and snack, or have him bring home pizza, and I want so badly to get out of that habit. I get on these kicks where I'll tell myself no more and I'll do great for a few days then I'm right back to not caring... Even not liking fruits and veggies I can still make smarter choices and I just don't know how to conveniently do that. What do you moms do to not let the kick fade away??? I'm in desperate need of some advice! :-)

Juliebee81

Asked by Juliebee81 at 9:53 PM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• Gosh, this is hard because it takes effort and willpower but it also takes some money. Fresh fruits and veggies cost. Try planning meals ahead so you have time but not so far ahead that you feel you have to write them down (but you could). I have a small dry erase board on my fridge that I use. At the start of each week, plan 4-5 meals with a protein, starch and veggie. Add fruits for breakfast or in lunches. I precut carrots, celery and let them sit in water for snacking in a tub in the fridge. You can toss in broccoli too. Sometimes, I'll wash a head of lettuce, dry it and put paper towels between the leaves and store it in the fridge. That way it's clean for eating or steaming all week. Also, quick fruit packs like mandarin oranges or applesauce are a good, fast fruit snack. Better than nothing and Costco has them in bulk. Starch is usually baked potatoe or rice and protein is roasted chicken, beef, tofu. Good Luck!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:46 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I don't know if this will help, but one of the tips I got while trying to loose weight for my wedding was to get a pic of me in my wedding dress and put it on the fridge and on the cabinets. That way when I went to snack, I saw that I wanted to look better. Granted I never actually did this because my husband didn't want to see my dress and we lived together, but it supposedly worked for a lot of people. You could put on an outfit that you love, or just a picture that you don't look that great in, and try it that way. Again, I don't know if this will work, but it can be a consistent reminder that you don't like the way you look, especially at those vulnerable times. GOOD LUCK!!!
    Erin1108

Answer by Erin1108 at 1:38 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Drink 6tsp of Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar w/24oz of water (then at least another 40oz of water) each day. This helps rid your body of toxins & you will WANT to start eating better. Stay active.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:24 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• You should join our local playdate/mommy walking group
    http://www.cafemom.com/group/PasadenaDeerparkLaporteMoms
    We actually have been walking together att Dow park 2-3 nights a week! We have created a weightloss forum that is really just getting started... tips for eachother and support!! Its great too because we are local so we really get together and its so much fun! When you apply to the group just put that Tiffany reccommended you!!
    LoganAndKennedy

Answer by LoganAndKennedy at 8:12 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I will put the link in your chatterbox because it didn't show us as a link on here.... !!!!
    LoganAndKennedy

• Hello,to answer ur question.Im a mom with a 7yr old and 8 week twin girls,and you have to make change for yourself. Im not a veggie freak,but I can go with out eating a whole day because im so busy,but when i chose to eat,I try to eat healthy. No fast foods,alot of fish,even tuna fish(thats quick). Also alot of fiber foods.Goodluck with making time for you and your family.
    Nechole

Answer by Nechole at 8:52 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Sometimes you need more then others telling you what you should do.. I have a program that will teach and guide you in a healthier live style. This could be what you need to boost your metabolism and show you how to pre-plan, especially with a busy schedule. I can make it fun for you and the kids. Email me at: gethealthy@inbox.com
    NanFam

Answer by NanFam at 9:22 AM on Apr. 15, 2009