How can I keep from overeating?

Every night I cant seem to stop eating, its pathetic and I am not losing any weight because of this even though I have been going to the gym almost everyday :(

PookieMama13

Asked by PookieMama13 at 9:57 PM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• Put down the Cracker Jacks Momma!! j/k Eating at night seems to be a hard habit to break. I used to think I ate out of boredom, so I changed my routine.... that helped, but didn't eliminate the problem... Seriously though.... I'll go vacuum the house right now, if you'll do something else too and we both won't eat the Cracker Jacks. Wanna try?
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 10:06 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• dang it. now I'm craving left over holiday chocolate... I use to be a real bad boredom eater. that is why I sit in front of the computer typing to keep my hands busy rather than watch tv.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 10:11 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• lol i know stopping seems like the most logical answer but its soooo hard! I was thinking about cleaning the house or going walking somewhere!
    PookieMama13

Answer by PookieMama13 at 10:11 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Dont eat while you are watching tv or you are on the computer, because you arent paying attention and you will eat a lot more than you want to.

Eat five small meals a day, you wont be as hungry. This means like an apple for breakfast, cheese, nuts, or granola an hour and half later, and so on so forth. Small meals.

Eat slower! I have such a hard time with this. I eat so fast that it doesnt register with my brain that I am full until I ate the whole cake. If you eat slower, savor your food, and think about how much you are eating, this will keep you from overeating.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 10:32 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Oh, also make sure you eat at the table as well. This actually helps a bunch not being in the living room, or eating on the run. Eat your meals at your table or desk and finish, your snack, meal, before you get up.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 10:33 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Dont bordom eat (im horrible at that) use small dishes so it looks like more. Eat a bunch health veggies before meals so you eat less of the other stuff. High fiber foods make you feel more full. Put down your fork between every bite. Drink water when you put down your fork. Never let yourself get to the point of "starving" you will eat more.
    HunnysFarAway

Answer by HunnysFarAway at 2:14 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Why are you eating - emotional or physical craving? If its physical then you need to be eating more fruit and greens. These will provide your body with the nutrients it needs and will fight off cravings for food.

If its an emotional craving - boredom, stress etc than this is a little more complex to deal with. For more info on emotional craving here are some articles: http://www.eating-naturally.com/home/2009/3/10/part-one-introduction-to-emotional-eating.html
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 6:46 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I used to do this too...now I fill a bottle with water and add green tea drops to it. I sip as I watch tv in the evening and it stops me from wanting to eat. I guess mentally I'm still swallowing something and we all know green teaand water is good for us, so I'm actually doing something good.
    Noosh

Answer by Noosh at 8:30 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I like to have a crunchy snack so I switched from chips to carrots and they fill me up. I would just read or keep busy in another way.
    kristinmamaof2

Answer by kristinmamaof2 at 11:52 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Put you energy of eating into something else, clean the house, exercise, read a book, this may distract you from the need to eat. Also you may want to stop and think about why you feel the need to eat, is it emotional what is your emotions at that time, are you bored, sad, stressed? I am an emotional eater myself and have found a great program www.totellwellness.com which is helping me to stop my compulsive eating and binging habits. If this is the case for you I highly recommend them.  

bonitachicka123

Answer by bonitachicka123 at 2:49 PM on Sep. 12, 2009