my cat is pregnant

I got 2 cats about 3 months ago they were supposed to be females, but one is male, they are brother and sister. Before I got a chance to get either of them fixed she went into heat. I think she is now pregnant.
My question is will the male cat try to harm the kittens when they are born?

Amelora

Asked by Amelora at 10:08 PM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Pets

• They usually dont unless they are wild or if one of the kittens is weak or deformed. But even then, they usually dont.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:12 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I've never heard of that, but then again I've never been in the situation where the mom and dad cat live in the same house lol
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 10:34 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• We always had cats and that never happened. And the mom will be a fierce protector anyway. Don't worry.
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 9:00 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• No, the father shouldn't harm them. My mom used to breed Persian cats, and she never had a male try to harm the kitties.
    You should be worried that they kittens will be born with problems, however. If the mom/dad are brother/sister your kittens may be born with problems.
    Anonymous

• Maybe. Keep the male cat as far away as possible.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 4:48 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• It depends on the males cat personality. Growing up, we always had cats that had litters. (We didn't know about better about spaying or neutering). Some of the male cats would try to harm the kittens, some males could care less. Also keep in mind that cats are induced ovulators, which means almost as soon as the kittens are grown, your female will go back into heat again. She will not finish the reproductive cycle until she breeds. I sugest you get your male cat neutered now. After your female has the kittens, wait till they are weaned and have her spayed.
    Angel8203

Answer by Angel8203 at 11:51 PM on Apr. 15, 2009