At what high of a temp would you take your 7 month old to the ER?

BIMOM21

Asked by BIMOM21 at 10:13 PM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 106 with vomiting and trouble breathing, yeah, that's a trip to the ER! I would have had some very choice words for my insurance company if they told me I should have waited! Poor baby! Is she doing ok!?
    MrsBlack530

Answer by MrsBlack530 at 10:23 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• 100 high temps in very young children can and will cause a seizure did you give them tylenol?
    emtmommyamanda

Answer by emtmommyamanda at 10:17 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• other factors weigh into it than the number on the thermometer- is the child alert? are there other symptoms? what is a "normal fever" temp for the child? I would call the Dr.'s emergency line and go from there
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 10:18 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• At 7 months... well, did you give Tylenol or anything? Any runny diapers or vomit? Plenty of pee diapers? It's hard to say... if they had ANY fever and kept it after giving meds... I would take them in... fever can be pretty rough on a baby...
    Gremlyn

Answer by Gremlyn at 10:20 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I am just asking because my sister took my niece to the ER last night because she had a temp of 106, throwing up and couldnt breathe. She ended up having pnuemonia, but her insurance told her she had no right to take her daughter that she should have waited the 3 days it would take to have her seen by her family doctor. I think it was wrong of the insurance company, but its JMO.
    BIMOM21

Answer by BIMOM21 at 10:20 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I think it's the speed of the tempurature rise that causes seizures, rather than a high temp itself. I personally don't give Tylenol for a temp under 101. Anything over 103 that doesn't respond to Tylenol, I'd call the pedi's office or a nurse line first.
    MrsBlack530

Answer by MrsBlack530 at 10:21 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Depends on if there is any other symptoms, but if there aren't any, then I would say 100.9 or higher =]
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 10:23 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• of course you call th ped first i just work on an ambulance and it makes me nervous ive done cpr on kids bc parents waited to long to call and they had a seizure bc of high temp thats one of the things that panics me i admit im overly sensitive
    emtmommyamanda

Answer by emtmommyamanda at 10:23 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Oh and that's also if tylenol didn't help take it down, or away completely, after the third dose =]
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 10:24 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• She is doing a little better but if it isnt cleared up really good by tomorrow, they will admit her. My sister told the insurance company off cause they were talking about dropping her because of the visit.
    BIMOM21

Answer by BIMOM21 at 10:25 PM on Apr. 14, 2009