from sippy cup to regualr drinking cup

My son is 16 months and he drinks he juice or milk from a nubby sippy cup straw but my mil told me once he turn 18 months I need to take the sippy away from him because he needs to learn to how to use a cup instead of the sippy cup but I thought you take them off the sippy cup when they are 2 or 3. I don't think my son at the age will be ready for a cup because when me or my hubby have a plastic cup he will try and drink from it but sometimes he will get some lidgue but other times he like chewing on it. So when should I take the sippy cup from him.

LoriAnn87

Asked by LoriAnn87 at 10:16 PM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When you feel he is ready. Not a moment sooner. You know what he can handle...as long as he is not in school still drinking out of one lol
    nikkileerue

Answer by nikkileerue at 10:18 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I think that's a judgment call every mom has to make on her own--kinda like weaning from breastfeeding or from the bottle. 18 months is still very little, so I wouldn't worry about it myself. You do want your son to eventually graduate to a regular cup, but there are "baby steps" you can use. If he's using a spill proof sippy cup, you can switch to one that isn't or a regular plastic cup at mealtimes when you're there to help him. That way you can give him a sip or two at a time and make sure he's getting something while he's learning to cope with the new flow of liquid. But like I said, I wouldn't worry about taking him off at the arbitrary 18 month mark. Every child is different and he may not be ready. That's your call and your DH's--not anyone else's. JMHO
    TexaBamaBaby

Answer by TexaBamaBaby at 10:26 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• My son, 18months old, still uses his sippys but we give him a "big boy cup" some times when he sits in his high chair. Yes he has had a few spills but he is learning. It takes time. Oh, btw, my hubbie is reading over my shoulder and says your MIL already raised her kids it's your turn now. . . okay that isn't quiet what he said, I had to clean it up a little Good luck, give "big boy cups" a try while he is seated and supervised, and have a towel handy

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 10:55 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• MY DAUGHTER IS 2 YEARS OLD AND STILL USES A SIPPY CUP, EVERY NOW AND THEN WE LET HER DRINK OUT OF A LITTLE CUP. MOST OF THE TIME SHE DUMPS IT. SO I WOULD SAY AS LONG AS YOU WATCH YOUR CHILD LET THEM DRINK OUT OF A SMALL CUP EVERY NOW AND THEN TO INTRODUCE IT. I KNOW MY DAUGHTER IS NOT READY TO OFFICIALLY GIVE UP A SIPPY CUP. NOT YET ANYWAYS.
    JKLIEBERT2004

Answer by JKLIEBERT2004 at 11:33 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I agree with the answers that I have read. My daughter is 2 and still uses a sippy cup most of the time. Just like with potty training, they'll let you know when they're ready. You can't force it. My personal opinion is you know your child better than anyone else. You know what he needs.
    Marysmom825

Answer by Marysmom825 at 1:09 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• ok I feel better! I hate going by the books. so many say to wean them off sippy's "as early as possible". but yes it is definately your call. when he seems ready is when it's a good time!!!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 12:15 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I would say that you should take it away from him when you feel that he is ready. My daughter is over 2 years old and she still has a hard time drinking from a cup, even the kind that has the straw built into it. She feels the need to have to tip her head back.
    chelcityrocks

Answer by chelcityrocks at 7:36 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• mine are almost 23 months and there's no way they're ready for regular cups. they just dump it all over themselves the first time they try to take a drink. ignore your mil and do it when you think your child is ready. good luck!
    tstep972

Answer by tstep972 at 11:14 PM on Apr. 15, 2009