I really need some advice..How can I help my 5 month old daughter take a bottle?

It is time for me to return to work and at present I am really challenged by my daughter who will not take a bottle from me or from my husband. I have bought three different types of nipples, two types and brands of formula, tried pumping out breast milk....and I have had no success. She will scream for an hour or more!!!
I am looking for any tips or advice you have from your own experiences that may help me. Thank you so much and God bless you and your children.

LMNagovskiy

Asked by LMNagovskiy at 10:30 PM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• WOuld you take stale(for pumped milk) or rotten(for formula it smells rotten) cookies when fresh baked ones(your breasts) are right there...neither will she!!! you are there with your milk, shes not going to take the bottle with you there and she has the option to nurse.

She will eat when she needs to, leave that bottle leave that baby she will take that bottle...you can also leave a medicine syringe and give milk that way or a sippy with no valve in it...
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 10:34 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I hope and pray all works out for you and your baby.
    It could be the formula sometimes it does not fill them up try putting some (baby) cereal in the bottle and warm it up a bit. 30 secs. Or you can try adding some baby fruit with it too. Maybe her baby taste buds are kicking in she wants something more...I guess.
    Or you might just need to keep trying different brands until one suits her belly some give them gas or upset stomach you just have to try different ones. (have some baby gas medicine ready just incase) GL It could be just a phase it will all work out. God bless you and family as well :)
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 10:36 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I have had a lot of experience, as a daycare provider, getting babies to take a bottle of breast milk. ~ I cannot stress enough how crucial temp is...not too hot...not too cold. You should not even be able to feel it when you put it on your wrist. Try practicing with different temps so you see where her comfort level is.
    I have also found that most babies, especailly over 3 months old, do not do very well if you hold them in a "nursing" position. I think it really confuses them. Try holding her a little less cuddly, if that makes sense. I have even held babies away from me with my palm flat against their cheek, so they feel skin but not a chest...lol!
    Also, I think it's Playtex that makes a botlle called "breastflow". It's like nothing I have ever seen and feels most natural. I suppose it couldn't hurt to try it! But, keep pumping and avoid formula if you can. It will make it easier for her if it at least tastes the same.
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 10:52 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I tried at about four months to get my daughter to take a bottle, just so I could have a night out. She never took one. I stopped nursing at one year. I think it was because I couldn't stand to see her unhappy. Surely, a baby will eat from a bottle when they get hungry enough. But it is hard to see them get upset. Don't give up and try to be stronger than I was!
    mehargval

Answer by mehargval at 11:09 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• The nipple that we used were given to us by the hospital. The nipples were for newborns and she took to them with no problem. Just keep trying and eventually she will adjust to them. As far as formulas, we tried many and the one that DD liked the best was the Target brand of Soy. She never liked the name brand ones but loves the generic brands. ( God bless this child, they are way cheaper for us ). Good luck to you and God bless your family. :)
    Williamswifey

Answer by Williamswifey at 11:11 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• At her age its hard to try to get them to take a bottle. Have you tried giving her a bottle before now? You will defiantely have to leave the house in order for it to work. She can smell you and that is why she won't take the bottle. Even if she doesn't take the bottle there are other options, but your DCP will have to be open to them. She can use a cup, a syringe, or even a spoon...and just a warning that she may not eat alot a daycare and want to eat when you get home..thus resulting in what is called reverse cycling..she will want to eat all night..when you want to sleep.
    mag12305cmg

Answer by mag12305cmg at 11:25 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Does she sleep through the night? If not then try to give her a bottle when she wakes up. She will still be a bit drowsy so she wont notice as much probably. I breast feed but we had lots of problems so I had to pump alot and give it to her through a bottle. Now she will do both for me, but I have never used formula. Try pumping it and giving it to her so she adjusts to the nipple, then start mixing in formula a little at a time so she gets used to the taste.
    I hope I was helpful.
    And if you pump and she still wont take it from the bottle, make her wait to eat until she does. When she realizes she can get your milk from there she will probably take it. Oh and make sure it is a properly gauged nipple. Your breasts give milk very fast if they are like mine and a nipple that requires alot of work is not something that they will like. Go for soft nipples too that are easy for them to manipulate in their mouth (more like ur nip)
    HunnysFarAway

Answer by HunnysFarAway at 1:02 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Certainly retry pumping if thats an option for you. Since your baby is used to sweet breast milk its natural for her to hate the taste of formula. Pumping doesnt get you alot of milk until you've done it for a few times a day for a few days so its natural to only get an oz the first times. My dd NEVER took a bottle so I can't help you on the bottle thing. Good luck mama!
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 1:40 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I know it may not be what you want to hear but 2 of my 3 kids NEVER took a bottle and my 2nd really really resisted. I have tried many many brands and types with pumped milk, letting daddy feed ect and Joe (who is 6 months) just WILL NOT take it....I also just got that breastflow bottle that a previous poster mentioned and it really is neat , I honestly think that nipple is most like a human nipple BUT, I still cant get my son to take it :(
    Ill keep trying in hopes that he will but im not too optimistic about it
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 9:59 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• You don't need to give your baby the bottle, neither does your husband. Have the daycare provider do it. They're used to giving bottles, and they're comfortable with them and will be able to convince baby to take them. Often rather easily! Just nurse when you're with baby. Another option is trying a "Take and Toss" sippy- my son loved those at that age. He'd even just sip out of a regular (plastic) glass. So see if he'll take sips of breastmilk out of a cup. The daycare can always cup feed her if need be.

Skip the formula, though. Invest in a good breast pump and go with that instead. :) A baby's not going to take happily to formula after 5 months of breastfeeding unless she's starving.
    Gruntlings

Answer by Gruntlings at 10:54 AM on Apr. 15, 2009