MY 6 YEAR OLD STILL THROWS FITS AND TANTRUMS IN PUBLIC!!! ITS SO EMBARASSING AND I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO ABOUT IT. I CANT SPANK HER IN PUBLIC SO WHAT OTHER CHOICE DO I HAVE??? SHE ALWAYS WANTS HER WAY AND KNOWS I'LL GIVE IN ONLY BECAUSE WE'RE IN A PUBLIC PLACE AND SHE KNOWS I CANT PUNISH HER AT THAT MOMENT.

BLESSEDMAMI2

Asked by BLESSEDMAMI2 at 10:33 PM on Apr. 14, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• YOU LEAVE! She gets on warning and if she doesn't stop you remove her from the place were she is getting attention. Leave your basket, leave your table, get up and take her outside. I know you cant just leave the restaurant all together, but have the waiter waitress pack up your food, pay and leave. When she realizes that you are consistent, and you mean business, she will stop. Also you might want to stop taking her grocery shopping with you. Leave her at home with daddy and take your other children instead of her. After she is left out a few times, she will straiten up.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 10:36 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Have you tried just walking away far enough that she cannot see you but you are still close to her?
    nikkileerue

Answer by nikkileerue at 10:36 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• spank her any way out in public. if she is acting up as bad as you say in public, people are already assuming your a bad parent (not saying you are). plus it will jolt her and make her realize that even in public she can't get away with acting like a fool.
    Anonymous

• Why can't you punish her in public? I punish mine in public if they need it. They've taken time-outs in the middle of Wal-Mart and a few rare times they've been popped on the butt.

If you aren't going to punish her in public, then remove her from the public. As a kid, my dad warned me if I acted up we'd go back to the car. He meant every word he said! I had one chance. If I screwed up, he put things back and we went home.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:37 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Oh god, is this what I have to look forward to? My dd is 3 and I absolutely cringe when she throws a tantrum in public...but right now I have decided I will pick up and leave a place at the exact moment that she decides to throw the fit...sit her in the car, stand outside the door with my back to her, and wait it out, when she calms down, I tell her that we do not act that way in public "Totally unacceptable" I tell her if she is ready to behave, we can continue our shopping... It is starting to work a little bit for me, but this is after I have done it a dozen times or so. LOL. Kids are definitely rough, and it is always hard to be consistent, but I have really put an effort into being completely consistent! Good Luck hun.
    pamelajqs

Answer by pamelajqs at 10:38 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I tore lil j ass up in public today and dared someone to open their damn mouth...il give them some too.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 10:38 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Take her to the bathroom and spank her tell her to stop being a spoiled brat!
    Anonymous

• I used this technique once and never had a problem again. When my child behaved life this, I went over to her and held her close. I whispered in her ear in a calm, clear voice: "You will not disobey me." Then I gave her a light, but firm little pinch on the bottom. NO! Not the kind that leaves a mark - but the kind that gets their attention. Like I said. It never happened again. A few times I had to give "the look" but then they straightened right up!
    Anonymous

• Do what you do at home if you don't want anyone to judge you take them to the bathroom and spank them there or wait til you get home. (yeah by then you will be calm down about it and so will them) But I know what you mean sometimes I just leave mine at home with my dh and go and enjoy some quiet time now unless I have to bring them with me I prepare myself and them I only talk once if not just wait til we get home. (depends on how bad they were)...lol
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 10:43 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• By the way, always lay down the law on the way to the place you are going. Mommy expects... so they are clear on the behavior that you want to see out of them. I have found that to be effective too!!
    pamelajqs

Answer by pamelajqs at 10:46 PM on Apr. 14, 2009