How can i get my four year old brother off of pacifiers?

He won't let it go we tried three times to let him go without it and he has a fit for so long that we end up giving it right back.

zoriah26

Asked by zoriah26 at 10:42 PM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My sister took he sons and threw them away. End of that story. Of course kids are gonna cry, but they get over it.
    LucasMama08

Answer by LucasMama08 at 10:43 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• this sonds crazy but i cut the nipples off of my 4th childs it was funny and it worked!!!
    silly7

Answer by silly7 at 10:44 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• My son had fits when I took his away too. I took it away cold turkey. Throw them all in the garbage and don't go digging in there for them later! He will cry and he will be upset. Give it 3 days and see how he does. I'll bet he goes to bed easier each night.

When you guys take it away and upset him....he cries...then you give it back. He's learned from that already. Don't expect it to be easy now. He's going to do whatever it takes to get that paci back.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:44 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Yeah I agree with silly7...I have heard that if you snip the tip of the nipple every so often eventually they will lose interest bc they can not get that feeling of sucktion just slow air coming in.
    Do it to all of them that way he won't have a choice but to give them up. GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 10:47 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Could you have a Bye Bye Binky party, or something that you can plan together, that he can look forward to... give him four to six weeks before the Big Day, and involve him in the planning and ideas over that time, make it really fun and positive for him. A celebration instead of something he loves being taken away.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 10:48 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Take it away and don't give it back. Simple. You are going to have to deal with a tantrum but he'll get over it
    Anonymous

• With my 5 year old when we took her off hers when she was 2 we convinced her thar there was a binky fairy, we told her that the fairy takes them to babies that need them more than she does. She gathered up all her binkies that she collected and we put them in a basket and put it out in the back yard. We left her a Dora doll in it's place and she was happy about that and didn't want a binky again after that.
    Rosalie29

Answer by Rosalie29 at 11:00 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• ugh i can't type with a baby in my arms, ment that we convinced her THAT lol
    Rosalie29

Answer by Rosalie29 at 11:01 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• first just have ONE. not two or four or eight. JUST ONE. take it away slow. thats what i did. first during the day, he could ONLY have it at nap time and night time. then JUST night time. then i had HIM put it in a special bag that was going to other little boys and girls who didnt have pacifiers and cant afford them. when i finally collected them and he wasnt looking i threw them in the garbage. it wasnt too hard but took about two weeks total.
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 11:03 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• oooh instead of the garbage i like rosalie29's idea better =]
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 11:04 PM on Apr. 14, 2009