Stolen Social Security Number...but no credit fraud?

My son filed his taxes yesterday, H&R Block called today and informed him that someone claimed him on their tax return (He's 20). I didn't claim him, and the IRS won't disclose who did. We checked his credit report... there are NO red flags, everything is accurate. My son thinks that my ex may have been the one.... so I called the ex... he said no..... what's worse is that the IRS informed my son that he will never know who stole his SS# or even if and/or when it is recovered, not to mention he will never be given the opportunity to file charges. That don't sound right to me, should he be allowed to opportunity to prosecute or see to it that the person responsible is prosecuted??

PaceMyself

Asked by PaceMyself at 10:46 PM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Just for Fun

• It is possible that someone else screwed up a SSN when filing their taxes and just so happened to use your son's.

I agree, it's bogua that they won't release it. Heck! They've got the address, name, and SSN of the person that (possibly) stole it! What an easy way to catch someone!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:47 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• i'm sure since it involves the IRS the person who did it will be punished. however i would make sure he notifies the major credit bureus (my spelling sucks) that way if anyone applies for anything (including him) they can have some way of making sure its actually him
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:47 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• yes thats bull shi* if you ask me the IRS can take the address or phone number they used to file and find them I bet if he owed the IRS $100000 they would know how to find him Good luck I hope it works our for him

Anonymous

• Contact the Social Security Administration and ask them what can be done. The IRS doesn't run social security. I don't think there is much that he can do, it would be hard to find out who did it, especially if the IRS won't tell your son what he needs to know.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:48 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Crazy things happen I am a nurse and had applied for diffrent jobs I have great references and couldn't figure out while no one was calling me for an interview One day 2 diffrent places called me for an interview they went real well I waited for them to call and they didn't so I called them they both told me they done background checks and they came back that I had been in prison I was floored I have never been in any trouble I got copies from both places I had to go thru ALOT of shit to prove I had never been in any trouble In fact the dates they had down I was in prison I was actually in nursing school I have never really got any answers for this screw up and probably never will.Needless to say I have a wonderful job now but I will always keep that in the back of my mind.I don't trust anyone with SS numbers my DL number my Nursing degree,hell not even my phone number lol I wish your son luck it sucks I know
    mom2fivekids579

Answer by mom2fivekids579 at 11:01 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I would file a police report. I had to do that about a month ago, somebody got a hold of my checking account number and set up some prepaid legal stuff. I saw it on my account I knew I had not set up any prepaid legal things. talked to my bank, talked to the bank making withdrawals from my account. They gave me the prepaid legal companies name but the company refused to help me because they do have me listed as a customer. So I called my local police dept. they called the prepaid legal company and got the guys information. they called back asking if I wanted charges pressed I said yes I do. Then prepaid legal company called me a few days later to apologize.
    Anonymous

• We will file a police report... BUT because it's his social security number.... we have to get an affidavit from the IRS proving that the ss# was used/stolen before the police will take a report. Working on that already. ..... I'd bury the bastards if I could find out who did this to my son.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 12:13 AM on Apr. 15, 2009