Honey Nut Cheerios

Do you think it's a bad idea to give my almost 11 month old honey nut cheerios? I know you are not to give honey to babies and small children, but i wanted to know about this type of stuff like HN Cheerios, Honey Grahams etc. During the summer I heard of a few children being hospitalized because they used honey from KFC ... What are your thoughts on this?

Borikaos

Asked by Borikaos at 11:29 PM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i give my daughter cheerios but not honey the regular ones she loves it
    Anonymous

• It's baked so it's fine.
    The problem is botulism spores in raw honey. Even home cooking temps don't always kill it all but commercial cooking does. And your daughter is nearly a year anyway - it will be fine.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:35 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• i give my dd the banana nut ones
    Anonymous

• I've heard cooking does not neutralize whatever is in honey that affects children.. I would say no until your doctor says otherwise
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 12:07 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• If you are going to give cheerios, go with plain. even if they are technically safe, there is a ton more sugar in the honey nut ones.
    Devory

Answer by Devory at 12:39 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• give the regular cheerios
    honey is bad for them my son is 2 and i still dont give him anything with honey
    so i would say no honey
    gaby6286

Answer by gaby6286 at 12:52 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• oh and it depends if the 11 mos old can chew it may be a choking hazard cuz it is too hard
    gaby6286

Answer by gaby6286 at 12:53 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Just ask the doc. As far as I am aware, and I am not looking up my info to back it, botulism is actually a toxin put off by bacteria. Thats why you throw away the can that looks like its about to blow up and not just cook it. It is a very consentrated toxin aswell.
    The doc will know what to do in this case.
    HunnysFarAway

Answer by HunnysFarAway at 12:54 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• The nuts are more of an issue than the honey, since it is baked. Have you introduced nuts to your child yet? It's better to give them regular Cheerios because they don't have so much added sugar. This is the age when we have the opportunity to shape their future tastes, so avoiding sugar is a good way to get them started on a healthy diet.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 1:00 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Processed Honey in things like cereals and cookies and stuff is just fine... it's raw honey... like the kind from the little Bear they can't have.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:32 AM on Apr. 15, 2009