is saying my SO another way of saying im not good enough to marry?

?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:37 PM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Relationships

• I don't think so. I call my boyfriend my SO because we aren't at the point of marriage yet although we have been discussing it very seriously.
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 11:39 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Not at all. SO means significant other. I'm engaged to be married but when I answer a question instead of writing fiance or daughters father, I just write SO. We are very commited to each other but just not married yet! Some people just don't have a DH yet. LOL
    pamelajqs

Answer by pamelajqs at 11:40 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• thats something i dont understand im not trying to be rude honestly but is it ever humiliating to have a child but not be married?
    Anonymous

• Im already married and living with my 2 yr old's father, I still call him my hubby. Hell we been together for 5 years, isn't that common law marriage or something?
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 11:44 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• diamond just curious and you dont haveto answer but why didnt you ever tie the knot?
    Anonymous

• I thought SO was for spouse.. I didnot know that.. I have used So in my posts, but didnot realize that what it meant.. LOL
    Anonymous

• No, it is just the politically correct "adult" term for your boyfriend, girlfriend, spouse or same sex partner, although most people wouldn't generally use SO if married. I'm divorced and over 40. I think the term suits me fine.
    hopelessnance

Answer by hopelessnance at 12:09 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• No. I have friends who aren't married - they have no need for an official piece of paper to say that they love each other and are committed to one another, and they have no need to have a new title ("husband/wife") to prove it to themselves or anyone else. They are who they are,  together, in a monogomous, lifelong, loving, committed relationship - no ceremony or paperwork required to make that real to them. It has nothing to do with being "good enough to marry." If they have children together it will be a choice they make in love and awareness, and they would be amazing parents. Nothing humiliating there!

Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 12:15 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I don't understand where you come to the idea that calling your boyfriend your "significant Other" somehow means you aren't "good enough to marry." Some people aren't ready yet for marriage and maybe want to date longer before that commitment. Others chose not to marry at all. There are some women that are hoping and waiting for a proposal too. All of these scenarios don't have anything to do with being demeaned by a lack of a marriage certificate. Everyone has a different situation in the journey of their lives and relationships.
    kathyartist2007

Answer by kathyartist2007 at 2:13 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• anon :51...im still married to my 8 year old's father...trust me the man Im with now wants to get married. We wanted to go to Mexico but some of yall kinda talked me out of it.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 5:12 AM on Apr. 15, 2009