what is a good activity to keep my 5 week old amused & to keep her awake more during the day?

Asked by Anonymous at 3:31 PM on Jun. 20, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Tummy time is entertaining and necessary to keep them from getting flat head. have fun and play einstien makes great videos for little ones too.

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 3:48 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• During sleep is when she grows, including her brain's development, so treat her sleep as sacred. 5 weeks is very young for trying to deprive her of sleep. If you think to speed up her sleeping through the night this way, I advise against it. Also, make sure she isn't being disturbed by TV/radio/computer/stereo, lots of activity or talking in the house, electric lights. These are quite disturbing for a child younger than 5 or 6, jangling their delicate senses. Over-stimulation puts a child to sleep as the mind struggles to process everything or simply has to shut down and withdraw. Adults need to adjust their routines for young children's health. Quiet, peace,mostly being at home until 6 months. At night settling down the household earlier (more healthy for the adults,too!). Children are like plants, they need what they need whether or not it's convenient. Love them and give them what they need and they blossom into whatever wonderful flower they are.

Answer by waldorfmom at 4:25 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• word games

Answer by Patience1 at 12:50 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• I was told to "never wake a sleeping baby" as well, but she would always sleep all day long and be up all night, so I never let her go longer than 3 hours between feeding by waking her up from her naps, and now she sleeps through the night! I havent really tried keeping her up though, ive just woken her up to feed her. To keep her awake you could try maybe tummy time, or taking her outside to look around, maybe dancing and singing to some music? Try EVERYTHING. You never know what your baby will like. Touch her with different textures, or just tour the house with her.

Answer by Anonymous at 1:59 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• Good luck. Trying to wake my son at this age was pointless. He'd be super fussy and back to sleep even as I was trying to entertain him. They need their sleep, she'll sleep through the night when she's ready. My 11 week old still isn't ready.

Answer by CRSE1214 at 9:39 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• a 5 week old doesn't need much entertainment. talking to her, reading to her and tummy time are all great. but she needs to sleep when she decides. it's frustrating because you want to interact, but cherish the time she sleeps now. my three month old doesn't want to sleep, even when he's exhausted. I have a hard time getting him to take naps. just watch her sleep and enjoy the beauty of her innocence and sleep at the same time

Answer by bttrfly8605 at 2:39 AM on Jul. 12, 2008