Question about our ? justice ? system.

Can someone please tell me why infants and children hold less value in the eyes of the law than adults?

If 3 people went to rob a store, and one shot the clerk, they ALL go away for life for murder. Happens all the time.

But if 3 people live in a house where a child is being abused, and the child dies after enduring months, if not years, of torture, the person who killed the child usually gets a max of 15 years served in jail (if their sentence is say 30 years, which is unusual) and the others who allowed it usually get probation.

What gives?? No offense to any victims, but being shot and killed is a lot more humane than being sexually and/or physically abused to death. Shouldn't the sentence for the latter be greater???

Sharon7772

Asked by Sharon7772 at 1:01 AM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't think any type of killing is more humane than another... however I do agree with you that ALL parties involved should get in trouble.
    BrendaMomOf3

Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 1:08 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• It depends on the judge really as well as what charges the DA brings against the person. There were recently teenagers in the news who tortured and killed a CAT who faced up to 25 years in prison. I agree, the worse the crime, the harsher the punishment. However, there is more subjectivity in the penal system than we think.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:10 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• It also depends on the state, whether it is a state crime or a federal one and whether or not some type of plea bargain is involved.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 1:25 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I totally agree!!!

I have done a lot of child abuse research, and I have NEVER seen a deadly abuser get life without parole. For that matter, I've never seen them get more time than most major drug dealers! Some even got off with probation and time served!!! I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks this is wrong!!

Can no one put themselves inside the skin of that poor child and imagine the terror and pain? Imagine being just a few months old and having over 40 broken bones and being burned and bitten all over your body.............How can that possibly worth less than a drug offense?????????

I just can't figure out how to get the powerful people in this country to step up and do something. If they make serious child abuse sentences a lot harsher, people might think twice before hurting an infant/child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:06 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• The latest child abuse cases that I have heard everyone that knew was charged with something. But, prosecutors don't bring charges if they think the defense can prove reasonable doubt. Because then it would be a waste of time. NTM, if they do bring charges the defendants' attorney (public defender) can charge the state for mental tests and psychologists. And they can come with all kinds of reasons on why the person didn't tell anyone about the abuse.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 7:11 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• It kills me when I see 3 yr olds beaten to death, and the mother who did it gets 3 years. AND then regains custody of her other children after she gets out of jail! AND continues to give birth to more kids!

You are right. If someone tortures and kills an adult, they get more time. It's sickening.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:19 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• ""And they can come with all kinds of reasons on why the person didn't tell anyone about the abuse."" ""

That may be so, but how many times has someone gone to prison for murder just for being with a friend that shot someone?? They swear they didn't know he was gonna do it, but they still get life.

So how does a person justify not telling anyone about abuse when it is ongoing? They can't say they didn't know can they???
    Sharon7772

Answer by Sharon7772 at 11:42 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• "Sharon7772

"So how does a person justify not telling anyone about abuse when it is ongoing? They can't say they didn't know can they??? "

Not to defend those people that ignore the abuse, but just to say

Yes, actually, you can be living in the same house and not know this is going on. My mother never knew the extent of my abuse at the hands of my step-father or step-brother. Partly b/c my step-dad would be very methodical about his abuse and applied his tactics very carefully. My step-brother was the same way, and even my step-dad who was an abuser himself, didn't know what my step-brother did.

And victims (especially children) have many,many reasons they don't talk about thier abuse..even with other family members.

That being said, I will answer the OP's question with YES! I think its disgusting that someone who abuses a dog gets more jail time than a child abuser! I did a paper on this topic in college.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 2:48 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• ozarkgirl3:

I can see your point, but I am really referring more to cases like "Baby Brianna" (look it up on youtube) where she was covered from head to toe in bruises and bite marks and died at the age of 6 months. She was reported to have been sexually abused as well. Her mother and Grandmother lived in the house and did nothing to stop it, even when the men were throwing the child up into the air and letting her hit the ceiling and fall to the ground for all to see. Shouldn't they ALL be charged with murder?

The men were charged with "Child Abuse resulting in the death of a child", which , by the way, carries a lesser sentence than murder, and the women were charged with "failure to protect a child" and given probation. SICK!!!

BTW- I am the OP.
    Sharon7772

Answer by Sharon7772 at 5:37 PM on Apr. 15, 2009