I need a mommies help quick! What can I do about depression while Im pregnant?

Im pregnant and now more than ever I need to take depression medicine. I have been on it for years now and I havent taken it since I found out that I was pregnant. My babys father was cheating on me and he left me while pregnant. I feel like there is no length a man wouldnt go to to just break, stomp and discard my heart. Is there anything that I can take or do saftley during pregnancy for depression?

Alysia_Moore

Asked by Alysia_Moore at 1:13 AM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Try counseling, if you read many of my post I recommend it alot because it really is THAT effective with depression and with life in general. Get out and do stuff for yourself. You probably feel like you could get confused with a cow right now (I did) so do something that makes yourself feel beautiful because you are. A little chocolate can help raise moods and dark chocolate can help reduce high blood pressure in pregnancy (so I have heard.) Take a walk. Exercise can raise your mood and for most pregnant women is highly recommended. It helps your heart and the baby's hear. Exercising in pregnancy helps build up your placenta and gets the baby more oxygen.

Talk to your obgyn. He will know what to do about the drugs and will have more recommendations if the help you find here isnt enough.

Good Luck and God Bless you and your baby.
    HunnysFarAway

Answer by HunnysFarAway at 1:19 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• yes there are depression drugs you can take safely, i don't know which ones b/c i've never had to be on them. however your doctor would know and you should get on them as soon as possible, that way it will help with the postpartum depression you may get
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 1:18 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Since Psychotropic medications have to be prescribed by a physician anyway, why not go in and talk to your doctor about this? Many times problems with Depression can be solved with talk-therapy. However, if you have a chemical imbalance in your nervous system, correction with medication to restore the balance might be the only way to have you feeling better. Since your doctor had you on anti-depressants before, I am guessing this is the case. However, if you are feeling poorly because of life circumstances, that does not signify to me a chemical imbalance with the need for medication as the first resort. Therapy might be a good option. Only your medical practitioner(s) who know you, your body and your medical history are going to be able to guide you to the best option for you.

There are some safe anti-depressants during pregnancy. Talk to your doctors about the possible risks and bennefits.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:23 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• YES!! I suffer from the same problem. i realized about half way through, It was taking a tole on both me and my baby! I went to the Dr and she prescribed Effexor 75 for me. It was my miracle drug! it really helped afterward as well cuz i also suffer from post partum depression. My hubby could tell a difference in me in about 3 days! Call ur dr right away if you feel that it is causing stress on you or your baby! Good Luck!
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 1:44 AM on Apr. 15, 2009