Is she trying to hold on to her youth?

My Mother in law insits that her Grandchildren call her "Sissy", the eldest grandson is 21 and he still calls her "Sissy" or"Sis", if she even hears the word Grandma she gets angry.
She even refers to her Grandkids as " My son's son", or "My son's daughter", my kids are 3 and 1, and they look at her like she's crazy.
I have heard of Grandmas being called other nicknames, but not this one, have you?

issayaustin

Asked by issayaustin at 1:20 AM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Relationships

• wow, sounds to me like someone really doesn't want to come to terms with her age. my mom is nana not grandma (she freaks if you say grandma) but sis? i'd be like sorry but no. thats what you call your sister, not your grandma.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 1:22 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• my kids call my mom mimi because shes a young grandma!lol but sis is a little weird shes not there sister shes a grandma!lol
    4lyfe56

Answer by 4lyfe56 at 1:23 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Yeah she just doesn't want to believe she's old enough to be a grandma. Its sad that people aren't more thankful for even making it to that age! I've never heard of "sis/sissy" in the place of grandma. But, out of respect for her I would have the kids call her whatever she requests.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 1:24 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• My ex's grandma refused to answer to grandma, she made EVERYONE including me call her, TATA! and her husband had the same thing with grandpa, he was called abuello or abba! it was so wierd it took me a year to get used to that wierd crap! Its normal my mom refuses to be called mom-mom or ma-maw just grandma! I think she is trying to hold onto her youth. I would!
    Alysia_Moore

Answer by Alysia_Moore at 1:24 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• There could be a miriad of reasons why she doesn't want to be called "Grandma" or anything that reminds her of "Grandma." Perhaps she didn't have grandparents herself? Perhaps she has poor or painful memories of her own grandparents. Perhaps she didn't respect her grandparents? Maybe the word "Grandma" (or anything similar to a "Grandmother" type name) brings about bad personal memories for her? Maybe she feels too young to be called "Grandma" (and what's wrong with that? hehehe). Maybe she just wants to be different. Maybe being called grandma makes her feel old and reminds her of how she won't have as much time on this earth with her grandkids as she wants (my MIL is ONLY 55 and is always talking about how her life is almost over lol. My nursing home clients were no different at ages 65+).

She's their elder, they should respect her by addressing as she wants to be addressed. At least it's not an offensive name
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:29 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Sorry, I had computer problems. Anyway, I think it's okay for them to call her anything she wishes. I don't like the word grandma either, but if the kids want to call me that, so be it. I wouldn't even care if they called me by my name. As long as they know they are loved, that's the important part!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:49 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• And what is the big deal? So what if she is just trying to hold on to her youth? I'm fighting age every step of the way. Who says a grandmother has to be called Grandma?
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 11:04 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I AGREE WITH THE PREVIOUS COMMENT, SHE IS STILL A GRANDMA NO MATTER WHAT YOU CALL HER.

Answer by older at 11:26 AM on Apr. 15, 2009