how can i get my one and half yr old daughter to go to bed before 1 am?

kate1227

Asked by kate1227 at 1:37 AM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• is she on a schedule? I notice that helps immensly. When my dd wasn't on one she would go to bed whenever she wanted and wouldn't take naps. Getting the schedule to be a routine will take awhile, but it could work. Also, some kids are night owls and like to go to bed late and sleep in. BTW, has anything changed resently? New baby? Vacation? Her starting daycare? That can add stress and make them not sleep.
    sondamom0828

Answer by sondamom0828 at 2:48 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• does she take a nap? If so only let her nap for 30mins to 1 hour and thats it..
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 1:39 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• It might help us if you add her current schedule. Wake time, naps, meals, playtime, bedtime routine, sleep time....? Be sure she's not taking in too much sugar via sweets, white breads and juice/soda.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 1:51 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• well as you probally already know you need to nip that in the butt asap. lol she is running things around there. Take this advice from me i have been through this four times. Well not till one in the morning but kids that dont want to go to sleep.
    At her age you definitely want to start laying her down around 7ish....She needs her sleep at this age because as a one year old she is going to wake up in the morning at the crack of dawn like normal one year olds should.
    make sure her room isnt bright, if you have to put up a blanket over the window then do that. put on a soft light, lay her down and rub her head or her back...wich ever one she likes better. You may have to sit in there for a hour or maybe even more because she seems like she is determined. so just sit beside her bed or sit next to her and let her know your there and she isnt going to be getting up, its night night time. NO LONG NAPS DURING THE DAY MOM!! =)
    bellamommyof4

Answer by bellamommyof4 at 2:38 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• i say don let her nap after 4pm. i just read article on parents mag saying do not put your baby to sleep for nap after 4pm or they will stay up and would not go down for bedtime.

i am trying to get my daughter to bed by 930pm the latest is 10pm .
    try to get for early time so i can have some time alone with my husband.
    mommytobe24

Answer by mommytobe24 at 11:55 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Putting all of the above together. At this age she should be taking 1-2 naps a day. My son has just turned 18 months and he normally takes a short one in the morning, 30 minutes to an hour, and then a longer one in the afternoon, normally 12-2. We put him to bed about 7-8 and he sleeps until about 7 the next morning. If she is napping too much during the day she won't sleep at night.

Now, I know a lot of moms don't like the crying method but it worked for us in 3 days. We both work full time as teachers and had been up to 1 am for about 3 weeks in a row, then back up at 4 with him awake. Then back up at 5:30 to get ready ourselves and he didn't want to get up at 6:30 when it was time for daycare.
    We put him in his bed at 7, he cried off and on for about 45 minutes the first night, the next night it was less than 30 and the third night it was less than 15 minutes. contd
    AydensMom101507

Answer by AydensMom101507 at 10:52 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Now he goes to sleep within 10 minutes or so of laying him down. We make sure we play with him a lot before bedtime and wear him down. I also keep extra pacy's in each corner of his bed in case he loses one and I keep a teething type toy that makes noises in case he wakes up. He will play with it a few minutes and then go back to sleep. A note, he still woke up in the middle of the night a couple of times for about a week, once again he would cry for just a few minutes, play a little bit and then go back to sleep. Within 2 weeks he was sleeping through the night and continues to do so now.
    One other thing, my son was use to sleeping in bed with us and our mattress is a pillow top. To get him to sleep in his crib I had to cut and put egg crate on top of his mattress but underneath the sheet and put a pillow for him to sleep on since he was use to sleeping on our pillows so that it was more like our bed.
    AydensMom101507

Answer by AydensMom101507 at 10:57 AM on Apr. 17, 2009