what's your opinion?

if this has already been asked sorry but I'd like to know anyway...

what's your opinion on "teenage sexting"? do you think it should be illegal, or do you think it's okay??? and why?

my DH and I were talking about it and he thinks it's stupid that it's illegal, he thinks that yeah it's wrong if an 8 year old does it [or wants to] but he doesn't see anything wrong with a 15 year old doing it...I disagree, I think if the person is under age than it's child exploitation...

I respect other's views though and I would like to know what the rest of you mom's think about it

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:51 AM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think it's wrong and it should be illegal. But I don't think that they should be lumped into the same category as, say, some 50 yr old guy with a bunch of kiddie porn.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:54 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I am not sure how i feel. I think i would be ok with it taking the place of intercourse which from what my 16 year old niece tells me at least at her school it kinda has. She was telling me that one of her friends boyfriend was pushing her friend to have sex so she started "sexting" him and that has been enough. with the pressure that kids feel to have sex i do think this is better. However it does bother me that kids so young are exposed it to it.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:58 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I agree with sailorwifenmom
    MandMSMOMMY0607

Answer by MandMSMOMMY0607 at 1:59 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• anon :58 here i just wanted to add that if sex under the age of 18 is not illegal then this shouldn't be either.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:00 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I suppose you would hum a different tune if your child was the one doing the sexting and a bunch of pervs were looking at her picture.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:02 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• my child will not be doing that because in my opinion if i child is doing this it is the parents fault for not teaching them good values. If parents were involved or if the cared it wouldn't be an issue!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:03 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I don't condone teen sex, either, but here's the thing - when you have sex with someone, you choose who you sleep with, and how many times you do it. (Aside from rape, of course, that's a whole different story.) You know who is there, whether you are alone with your partner or not, etc.

With "sexting", once you send that pic, or allow it to be taken, you have NO control over who sees it, who does what with it, who they share it with, etc. Every guy in your school could be seeing it by the end of the day. It could be posted on someone's website. Then, someone else could copy the pic and share it with other people. Those guys in your school who now have the pics could also be sharing it with guys they know from other places, and so on.

It's about having control over (and respect for) your body, and how it is shared and used by others.

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:11 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Another thought - even if the person you sent it to would NEVER do that (and you would be surprised how quickly THAT changes when you break up...) What happens when his buddy wants to use his phone, goes through the pics, and now forwards it on to him/herself, either for their own pleasure, or to use it against you?

What happens if they lose their phone, and now, say, your school janitor or your history teacher has seen it? (Not to slam on janitors or teachers) Or whoever found their phone?

Or, for that matter, their PARENTS or siblings see it?

If adults choose to expose themselves (excuse the pun) in this way, then so be it. But, regardless of what they want to think, teens are still kids, they are NOT adults yet, and should not be doing things that have this many repercussions - sex or sexting.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:16 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I think it should be illegal. A 16 "sexting" a 13 yr old is just as bad as a 40 yr old doing it. As for Vermont wanting to make it legat~Death of common sense and morals in this country.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 6:41 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• It should be the parents who are prosecuted

Ask your husband how he'd feel if it was your 15 yr old daughter, and her newly dumped boyfriend just forwarded the pics to everyone in school and posted them online with her full name?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:18 AM on Apr. 15, 2009