how can you tell if your child is autistic at age two

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:23 AM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• While I can sympathize with Jenny Mccarthy, she isn't a medical expert and her views are decidedly at odds with the medical establishment, so take that into consideration when you listen to what she has to say.

however, you might check out web sites of orgs like Autism Speaks (www.autismspeaks.org) or the CDC (http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/actearly/index.html). Flags do vary but lack of speech, lack of response to name, inappropriate play with toys (ie obsessing with wheels on a car) are some flags. Lack of eye contact is a warning as well but making eye contact doesn't eliminate the possibility as this is something that may fade. (My son is 2 and speech-delayed so the possibility of his being autistic has been a concern. i also have a nephew who's autistic. I've learned a bit about this along the way.) If you are concerned, have him tested. Early intervention is absolutely the best thing that can happen! Good luck!
    Anonymous

• I was worried about this with my daughter and was told that if they don't respond to there name by the age of 1, doesn't make eye contact (none of the time), they can "spin wheeles on the car" obsessively or watching fans while they are on for hours at a time and freak out if they aren't on. They are antisocial...not like in stranger anxiety, but it is like they don't even see them (or sometimes even you) or like they are in a different world.

There is also different forms of autism. Is there a reason you are concerned?
    sondamom0828

Answer by sondamom0828 at 3:09 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• *hand flapping
    *loss of speech at any time
    *instead of responding to what you say they repeat it
    *no eye contact
    *cries for no apparent reason
    Breezy1988

Answer by Breezy1988 at 3:48 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• There are many different "red flags" and many different disorders on the spectrum. If you have suspicions, talk to your doctor and see a developmental pediatrician.

If you've met one autistic kid, you've met one autistic kid. They're never all the same...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:14 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• They are NOW saying that if a child has had alot of ear infections before 2 years of age then they could have autism........ I heard that from Jenny Mccarthy on Ellen yesterday .
    baby1love

Answer by baby1love at 10:18 AM on Apr. 15, 2009