What good groups are there for ...

adoptions that happen within the family?

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 3:48 AM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Adoption

• Good question. I don't know of any but please let me know if you find or start one. Adoptions within the family has it's own unique set of issues. I do know a few birth mothers who's family members adopted their children.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 12:40 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I joined one a while back as my aunt and uncle adopted my son but as soon as I mentioned my grief, regret, and unhappy situation things went pretty bad. I attempted to shed light on open adoptions for some of those APs because some of the things they said shocked me but then I was pretty much kicked out of the group. There really aren't any good groups out there for those situations... but that's just my opinion. I think it's because the family adoptions in that particular group happened mainly in place of like a foster care type situation whereas I voluntarily relinquished my rights.
    Anonymous

• I am the owner of Touched by Adoption. We have several members who have adopted within their families. You are welcome to join us!
    mommy9

Answer by mommy9 at 4:32 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• There's one called, "Adoption within the family" you could check out. I don't know if it leans more towards the adoptive parents or birth mother or both. I do understand you would have a unique perspective since you are still around the child you relinquished. (Hiding in plain sight? Kinda) If you don't find one, you might think of starting one, I am sure it would have many members. Good luck & God bless! PS-Those feelings are normal, and you do have a right to express them. If you don't quickly find a group, maybe ask your doctor to refer you to a counselor so that you can work thru your feelings. Hiding them doesn't make them go away. Again, good luck!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 5:30 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• There's one called, "Adoption within the family" you could check out. I don't know if it leans more towards the adoptive parents or birth mother or both. I do understand you would have a unique perspective since you are still around the child you relinquished. (Hiding in plain sight? Kinda) If you don't find one, you might think of starting one, I am sure it would have many members. Good luck & God bless!
    PS to ANON---Those feelings are normal, and you do have a right to express them. If you don't quickly find a group, maybe ask your doctor to refer you to a counselor so that you can work thru your feelings. Hiding them doesn't make them go away. Again, good luck!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 5:33 PM on Apr. 15, 2009