How many people know what Sickle Cell Diease is ? and who and how does it affect someone ?

I want to see how many people know what Sickle Cell Diease is ?

How much do you know about SC? Would you like to learn more on SC?

Anesita

Asked by Anesita at 4:02 AM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Health

• I remember learning about it. ...but i dont remember what it actually is. I know it has to do with blood cells and i know it's more commonly found in Africans or African Ameriicans, if i remember correctly. Correct me if i'm wrong.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 4:04 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• If I have been told correctly it is where the blood cells are shaped differently, most commonly found in people of African descent. It is thought to have originated in the days of slave trade, the people who developed sickle cell survived the trip on the slave ships due to there adapting to the iron deficiency. That is what I've been told any way, I might be wrong.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 4:13 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• It's a genetic disorder that causes abnormal hemoglobin that results in the RBC assuming an abnormal sickle shape. This shape interferes with normal bld flow resulting in damage to most of the body systems.
    Dani32

Answer by Dani32 at 5:12 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I have the trait. My first cousins have severe cases, with one being the worst case his docs have seen. He turned 31 this year and have blown his docs away.
    sherriet

Answer by sherriet at 2:55 PM on Apr. 16, 2009