• In the Spotlight:

how long after you have a baby does your breastmilk stop?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:38 AM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I breastfed for 3 months and when I stopped, it took a good two to three weeks for the milk to stop. For the first week, it's really uncomfortable because you're engorged. I just let out a little every few hours so that it wouldn't hurt so bad. After that, the production slowed down a lot and I didn't feel so full but I would still leak here and there. I assume that it would take less time for you since it seems you didn't actually breastfeed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:13 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Your milk shouldn't stop until you stop breastfeeding your baby. My first son I breastfed for about 5 months and my second 12 months. If you are wanting to stop...take the first posts advice. The less you feed/pump tells your body to produce less milk because it isn't needed.
    MommaM2

Answer by MommaM2 at 8:38 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I assume your not breastfeeding? I breastfed all 3 of my kids so I couldnt tell you when the milk stops, when my babies decided to wean from nursing, it took about 2 weeks for my breasts to stop hurting and being engored with milk.
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 9:43 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I didn't BF my oldest child and I didn't stop leaking until he was a year old. I never pumped either.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:00 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• It all depends on the person, as the PPs said it can last up to a year or more or only take a few weeks. It is God's constant reminder of what is best for baby. You can also end up with mastitis and clogged ducts so be aware of the symptoms.  Another option would be to pump and donate to a baby that is in need of that golden juice.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 AM on Apr. 15, 2009