why do toddlers finding dancing to music SOOO appealing ?

Every toddler loves loves loves to dance, at least the ones Ive seen especially my son...what is it they find so appealing in music at this age and why isnt it carried out as they get older? I danced when I was prego (ballroom) and always still do and play to educate him in it...is it maybe because parents dont...continue to teach it(the loves for dancing and music)?

Bugsmommy1908

Asked by Bugsmommy1908 at 6:25 AM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Both my children love to dance to music but i do notice that my older one (almost 4) sometimes won't dance if certain people are around (like grandpa or strangers). I think that when children reach a certain age, they start to be more aware of themselves and how they might be perceived. But I think that if you plan to educate your child in dance, then that will be second nature to him and I'm sure he will not think twice about dancing, as my son does.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:31 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• If you notice, they don't dance to every type of music....typically. There's something in the song that hits them just the right way. The techno, the beat, something. And it's cute movement that we never discourage. We never tell them to sit down and be still. We dance with them, we laugh, we clap, etc. We encourage, so they repeat.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 6:33 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• lol it was just sweet cause my son was busting out new moves tonight to some silly child cartoon it was just a thought. AND yeah my son dances to it all....even the things I can't stand like hard metal...he has special moves for each genre..thanks ladies.
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 6:36 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• You're right! I thin it's because their little bodies are still so new to them. They are always looking for chances to check it out and see what it can do and dancing is a great opportunity to do that! Not to mention that we react to it positively when we see it because it is adorable :).
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 6:52 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Both mine love music and love to dance. My oldest especially. He is almost 5 now. He also has a different dance and facial expressions for different genres of music. He will dance ot anything! He dances slow when a slow song comes on, etc. My youngest is 12 months so he just wiggles and bounces really. We dance around at least once a day.
    MommaM2

Answer by MommaM2 at 8:27 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Do your kids look totally spastic when they dance too? My dd is almost 2 and over the past year her "dance moves" have changed based on her teachers. Now all of a sudden she's remember the old moves and adding her own in and it's just sooo funny to watch!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:06 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• IDK, but they are absolutely precious.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 9:58 AM on Apr. 15, 2009