2 yr old acts like a baby!

its not my son but i work at a daycare...i have a 2 yr old and a 1 yr cousin. the 2 yr old mimmica absolutly everything the baby does! from toys in the mouth and crazy noises! but its ONLY wen the baby does it! he will sit on the floor and flap his arms or do watever it is the baby is doin. i try and treat him like a BIGBOY! and tell him that he is a big boy and we use our words not noises to talk. babies dont talk so they use noises. i let him do LOTS that the baby doesnt do. so wat more can i do?

amanda198524

Asked by amanda198524 at 7:10 AM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I guess I am not sure why its such a problem, he's only two himself. My daughter will be 10 next month and still pretends that she's a dog, cat, mountain lion, whatever. It drives me nuts but at the same time she's extremely creative so I try not to discourage her too much. Is it possible that he's playing with the baby in his own way?
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 7:51 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• i dont think he's playing with the baby cuz he plays really well with him. he mimmics everything that everyone is doin! i wouldnt mid if he pretended to b ananimal or something creative just drives me nuts that he acts like a baby i guess?
    amanda198524

Answer by amanda198524 at 8:19 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• My nephew is about to be 5 and he does the same thing. If anyone does it he has to do it for all the attention. My daughter is 7 months and still wears diapers so he decided he could poop his pants while he was here visiting because the baby does it and gets all the attention while being changed. Don't encourage the behavior if you can ignore it. If the 1 year old gets attention then the 2 year old is looking for validation as well that he is still little. Its a phase they go through but if you encourage and acknowledge it all the time they will continue. So ignore it as long as no one will get hurt. In all the daycares I have worked at by 1 they were in the toddler room and then by 2 they were in the older toddler room for walkers, runners and potty trainers. If he is around younger kids all the time he will pick up on their behavior. If they have an older toddler room see if they can move him to it.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 9:16 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• its an at home type daycare so all the ages r mixed. m sure it would help if it was diff but its not...maybe ill try and distract him? like wen he acts like that he and i can do something like...walk like an animal or help maybe teach the baby where his nose is? i dunno maybe something..
    amanda198524

Answer by amanda198524 at 9:26 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I would just let him do it. He's just doing it for attention or just cause he thinks it's fun. Let it go. He will stop on his own.
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 10:25 AM on Apr. 15, 2009