what the heck is unschooling?

ive heard about it on here but have no clue what it is

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 7:47 AM on Apr. 15, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I asked a mom that once and the answer she gave me was this.....the child doesnt do any formal school but learns from their environment and the world around them. They are listed as homeschoolers but follow no particular cirriculum. THey look for chances to learn by real life experiences........I hope I got that right. I love the idea of being out of the box, but I still want my kids in some sort of atmosphere that teaches cirriculum. I dont think they will learn all they need to know for college, but I am a BIG fan of homeschooling and private christian school. Not a big fan of public school.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:21 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• That is a pretty good answer. You can probably find out a lot more by doing a google search about it. Unschooling is a little bit controversial, but it basically follows the child's interests. You teach them about whatever they are interested in that day, and try to expand upon it in as many ways as possible. I think it's beneficial in that it encourages the child's love of learning, it gives them some power, which is important. I think it's also really easy to guide, and if you know what you are doing, there will be very few gaps in your child's education. I think unschooling avoids the parts of school that I hated most-the testing, which only tests your ability to take tests, the other kids, the focus on analytical knowledge. I'm a fan, but I'm still not sure I'm going to do this with my son. I definitely hope to home school though.
    Guaranteed

Answer by Guaranteed at 10:58 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• My children currently attend public school, but starting in middle school we will likely go private. EVERYDAY we "unschool" them, to keep them from being indoctrinated from liberal teachings, round out their education, by including FACTS that are often "omitted" because they don't fit the teacher's/school's agenda, or just to broaden our childrens interests in a particular subject, and help them fully grasp concepts to maximize their knowledge.

I look at school as a social starting point for education. Parent's need to continue that education and ADD to it in their everyday lives. Depending on schools to educate your children 40 out of 167 hours per week is only setting them up for failure when they enter the real world some day!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:17 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• After reading your responses, I don't know how I feel about UNschooling after a certain age, maybe 7 or 8. My kids go to public school, but I would love to home school. I just don't think I can. Anyway, I think kids need the structure of school, whether it's at home or in a school. People should be UNschooling their kids every day, but they also need structured education.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• It's my cousin's way to be lazy and sit on her butt all day. Because, heaven forbid she teach her 10 year old how to multiply if he doesn't want to do it.
    Anonymous

• As a former educator (now homeschooler), I don't view "unschooling" in a positive light. Unschooling is not teaching your kids how to read, write, spell, and multiply as well as learn about everyday life. THAT is homeschooling.

Unschooling is allowing your child to learn whatever they want to learn and avoid what your child DOESN'T want to learn.

More importantly, HOMESCHOOLING involves teaching the basics--reading, writing, arithmetic, etc.; activities centered around home economics (learning how to cook, do laundry, do well in the world, etc.), AND thematic units (themes chosen by the student according to their interest). Homeschooling is trying to surround your child with all of the perks of learning the disciplines WITHOUT the red tape involved in formal education.
    sweet2all

Answer by sweet2all at 1:35 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I think the guiding principle behind unschooling, is that children will learn best the things they want to learn about. So you let your children guide their own learning. I plan on homeschooling my kids, starting this fall when the oldest is due to start Kindergarden. I plan on letting him guide his own learning, by allowing him to choose the subject for the week. There may be gaps in his education when we are done, but the way I see it, nobody knows everything, and everybody has gaps. The idea is that children will pick up the necessary skills needed to complete the tasks they want to complete. So a child who wants to do creative writing will need to learn spelling, grammar, etc.. and it will be easier for them to learn those things, because it is their choice. In the early years I want to expose my son to all different subjects, and let him decide which of them he wants to follow for the long haul.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 3:34 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I attended a private experimental school where we were allowed to learn at our own pace. I loved going to school so much that I didn't tell my mother when I was starting to get the chicken pox!

The flexibility of my education definitely helped instill a passion for learning. But one thing it did not help me with was self-discipline. Now as a mother of three I sometimes think if I had been required to complete homework that I already understood in concept, it might have benefited my character. The real world has responsibilities that require self-discipline and aren't always fun or intellectually challenging.

So while the "unschooling" approach may develop a child's love of learning, if it is taken to the extreme, both a child's range of knowledge and his or her self-discipline can suffer. Education should equip students for success in life, which requires not only motivation but self-control and perseverance.
    3are_a_blessing

Answer by 3are_a_blessing at 12:05 AM on Apr. 16, 2009