Does anyone have any good tips on Potty Training a Boy?

tricky_girl79

Asked by tricky_girl79 at 7:57 AM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Make sure they are ready. Start talking about how your tired of changing poopy diapers

Make sure you can dedicate at least 3-4 days to it. That means staying home.

Dress him in sweatpants, or pants with an elastic waist. They come down easier.

Take him to pick out a potty seat. I've found that potty seats that go on the toilet are better then the chair ones.

Give an m&m or some small treat when he does go. Make a BIG deal about it.

There will be accidents. Be prepared to do laundry. Don't use pull ups. They are the same as diapers.

Good luck!
    my4lads

Answer by my4lads at 9:06 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• My son is almost 4 and we are almost fully trained FINALLY.. we are just working on the over night part of it. He did really good at about 2 years old with peeing on the potty for a while, then he just didnt do it anymore. Finally when he turned 3 we just stopped putting pull ups on him during the day and went straight to underwear. He figured out peeing on the potty really quick after that, maybe 2 days of accidents, then none. Pooping was a differant story.. he JUST started pooping on the potty regularly a few weeks ago. He will be 4 in May. Now, we were putting pull ups on him for nap time until about 2 months ago, and thats when he would poop in it.. so we stopped putting those on at nap time and he started having to poop on the potty. It worked! So, now after we move in a few days and he gets settled into the new place, we're gonna take pull ups away all together and see how he does at night. Boys are difficult.
    MistyAB

Answer by MistyAB at 9:08 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I definately agree with my4lads on the potty seat thing, my son LOVES his that just goes on the toilot. Makes him feel like a big boy. He can even put it on the potty himself and get on there. Also, it does take longer for boys to be ready for potty training than girls.. keep that in mind.
    MistyAB

Answer by MistyAB at 9:10 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• A mom on here she gave me a great idea.. she told me to get a piggy bank and show him the coins that go in the piggy bank like 2 cents for potty 5 cents for poopy and 10 cents to brush teeth and it works great.. i potty trained my son in 3 days and after the child filled her piggy bank we told him to buy what ever he wanted..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:16 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Thank you so much moms for the tips..I'm gonna try them all. Really appreciated :)
    tricky_girl79

Answer by tricky_girl79 at 10:19 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• let him go outside and pick a bush...leapsandbounds.com has a working urinal...
    amwb1201

Answer by amwb1201 at 1:44 AM on Apr. 23, 2009