What should I expect when I take my 4 year old son to the dentist for the very first time and do they know how to deal with nervous kids?

wandaluv

Asked by wandaluv at 9:30 AM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Health

• He is going to be nervous of course. The calmer you are the better. Talk about how great it is and explain to him what they are going to do. Explain the chair and the tools and the noises he might hear. If its a pediatric dentist they do this daily and put kids at easy telling jokes or talking about the latest cartoons. Show him videos. I know they have a video about my first time at the dentist for little kids at most libraries. They also may allow you to sit and hold him in the chair but they know what to do. If he is really bad they will prescribe a light sedative for the next time you bring him. He takes it 30 minutes before to make him sleepy.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 9:33 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I was sooo nervous at the dentist as a child and I had to get laughing gas.
    I assume they still do that so if he is really really nervous they will probably
    give him that.
    bmattacch

Answer by bmattacch at 9:32 AM on Apr. 15, 2009