Melantonin someone told me is good for a child who's active at bedtime and won't go to sleep,he's 4 years old and won't take naps this worries me but hopefully things will change once the summer comes.I keep him out all day until dinnertime then he passes out at the table and thenits the bathtub then once he hits the bed its lights out......AHHHHHHHH. Should I ask his pediatrician about prescribing something or shoulkd I try the Melantonin?

wandaluv

Asked by wandaluv at 9:58 AM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Nothing...sounds like a normal kid. It sounds like your missing his sleepy time. He should be in bed at dinner time instead of in a bath. Kids will get second winds. More bursts of energy if you miss that small window of oppertunity.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 10:08 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Personally I don't think that you should give your child ANYTHING to make them go to sleep. What has worked for us is a really good schedual. The same sleeping times everyday. Naptime is the same everyday, and bedtime is the same everyday. That way his body gets used to it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Yeah, i can't give my son any kind of nap during the day or he is up ALL night. I have tried all different times of the day, different amounts of time. You name it, I have tried it. So, I just let him go and have adjusted the rest of his day so he is in bed when it is time for him to sleep. That is what has worked for me. And if you ask a doc about Melatonin for naps, they will more then likely advise against it.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 2:27 PM on Apr. 15, 2009