Is Melantonin safe for kids age 4 and what can I put it in for it to work fast like his favorite yogurt or he likes instant oatmeal before he goes to bed because he normally watches a cartoon before he goes to sleep and he's wired up so help me out please?

wandaluv

Asked by wandaluv at 10:05 AM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I personally wouldn't give it to him without asking his doctor.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 10:12 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I think you should probably check with a doctor before you give him anything.
    AlexEss

Answer by AlexEss at 10:13 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Honey, the fewer drugs you have to give your kid the better. Try to get him to take an early nap. Try to wear him out in the morning (wake him up around 8 or 8:30.) take him to the park early in the day. That way he's tired at noon, eats lunch and takes a nap and he's up for the afternoon. Then, come dinner time, feed him, bath him (you can bath a kid every other day rather than every day, some of the oils in our skin are necessary for our own health and protection) and then read him a bedtime story and put him to bed. If you try that, and stick to it for a week or more he may grow accustomed to the routine and follow it easily, and then he will sleep better.

Good luck. It won't work with all kids, but it's worth a try. Otherwise, consult your child's pedi. about what your options are.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 10:14 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Are the two items you mentioned typical in your son's diet? It sounds like you may be giving him to much sugar.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• http://www.drugstore.com/qxp144570_333181_sespider/hylands/calms_forte_4_kids_sleep_aid.htm

These are made for kids and have kids dosages on the box.
    wulfbourne

Answer by wulfbourne at 10:25 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• First off, why are you giving your son food that contains sugar before bed? That is probably the # 1 reason why he is wired. Melatonin is FINE. They have done a lot of research on it. Melatonin is the hormone your brain releases when it turns night, telling your body that it should be getting ready for sleep. They sell small dissolvable tablets for children, & they taste good. It's like a lil itty bitty candy. My EX husband LOVES to give it to his kids. I would not do it EVERY night though. With most hormone replacement drugs, the body adapts to getting the hormone from an outside source & eventually your body may not be able to produce it on it's own. But, this has not been proven w/ melatonin, but with other hormone drugs. So, you never know, in the long-run, it might inhibit his body to produce enough hormones on its own. But this has not been proven, just be cautious.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:26 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Also, melatonin only lasts for about an hour. If they don't get to sleep within that hour, it's too late to take advantage of the melatonin. All it does is tell the body that it needs to get ready for sleep. I would try first to stop feeding him right before bed, that is a bad habit that he could continue unto adulthood if you keep that up. Eating right before bed is not a good idea. But, if you are going to do that don't give him yogurt, or instant oatmeal. Both of those have LOADS of sugar, & when i include that in my daughters diet, i add the sugar content as JUNK. Oatmeal & yogurt are good for you, but they both have WAAAAAY too much sugar in it. Maybe a bowl of plain cheerios would be much better.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:30 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I wouldn't give him anything without checking with your pediatrician first.

I also wouldn't keep giving him sugar and carbs right before bed! Of course he's wired! He has no way to burn off the energy from the food before he has to go to sleep!
    Anonymous

• Cartoons before bed are probably too much stimulation. Try reading to him in a quiet relatively dark room before bed.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 12:17 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Or, if you don't want to read to him, try just putting on some soft music that will not get him up and moving. Sounds like you are getting more of an overstimulation then a lack of melatonin. I had to research Melatonin for my son (he is ASD and he has sleep issues). I ask a devlepomental ped and she said it is ok to give to a four year old that you can get over the counter. But it is not meant to be used to induce sleep. It is more used for getting the child aware that they need to sleep. Before trying any drugs, i would give a snack that is a little less sugary, stop the cartoons and see what happens.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 2:25 PM on Apr. 15, 2009