Which Method is better?

My 18 month old has a whining problem. Whines for anything and everything. My SO and I are on different pages with curbing this behavior. I ignore her or distract her (which doesn't always work) and he says loudly "Hey Savannah, stop! No whining" (Which doesn't really work either)We are both frustrated with the whining.. What is the best method to curb her behavior? It's both wearing on our last nerve!

Mom2vanna

Asked by Mom2vanna at 10:12 AM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have a 24 year old DD..She is my whiny child..She use to whine a lot.And would cry at a drop of a hat. Still does cry at a drop of a hat..So your whiny baby will grow out of some of it..But maybe not all of it..

Answer by louise2 at 10:19 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• My son wasn't really a whiner, but my niece was and oh man how annoying. She whined ALL the time and for EVERYTHING!!! Yelling at her to stop or even just telling her to stop just made her whine more. She eventually just stopped. I think it's a phase, it will pass. Good luck.
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 10:23 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Try a combination. "No whinning. If you want something, ask like a big girl. Mommy and Daddy will not repsond to whining." (she may not realize that she is whinning). And ignore her until she stops. Then the next time "You are whinning again. Remember what we said? Ask like a big girl" and ignore. Try not to give in either.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:25 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• For my boys I told them, "If you want something you need to stop whining because I don't listen to whining" and then I walked away.

Worked like a charm for them.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:05 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I agree with some of the other posters... a combination works best.

"I can't understand you when you use your whining voice. Please ask again in your regular voice."
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:15 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Whining is an attention getting mechanism. The less attention it gets, the less useful it is. So, as several others have suggested, try to ignore it when you can. Good luck!
    Anonymous

• repeat eveything back to them in a whiny-tone (I mean with facial expressions and everything - the WHOLE NINE YARDS) Be exaggerative and see what happens..this worked for me!!!
    amwb1201

Answer by amwb1201 at 1:43 AM on Apr. 23, 2009