What does your SO/DH think about seeing a woman breastfeeding in public?

I asked my husband after reading YET ANOTHER argument about breastfeeding in public since it seems that the argument revolves around exposing sexual parts of the female body...

He said he could care less, he thinks having a child attached to the boob takes the sex right out of it, and that he averts his eyes so he doesn't make her feel uncomfortable.

I asked him how he would feel if I breastfed in public and he said "I wouldn't want to sit across the table and have a conversation with you while you were doing it, but I would prefer it to listening to a hungry baby crying."

What does yours think? I think it is nuts we argue over this day in and day out without a male opinion since they make up so much of the argument.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Mine probably wouldn't notice. He is not the most observant fellow...lol Multiple times he has been sitting there having a conversation with me and then all the sudden realize I'm nursing...he'll say "Oh god...you gotta warn me!!"

I haven't seen women draw attention to themselves at the mall or anything while they nurse, and most of the time they just look like they're holding their babies, so I doubt he would even notice.

When one of our friends were nursing he was a little awkward...would stare straight ahead like he didn't want to make her feel uncomfortable. A little guarded I guess, but I think it is out of respect for women.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 10:25 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Well I think it's a pointless arguement, many of my friends have BF their kids infront of hubby. As far as in public, neither of us have a problem with it as long as the boob isn't just hanging out there
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:17 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• We were watching 18 kids and counting last night and the mom was doing this but was COMPLETELY COVERED.. All he said was "thats weird, shes just breast feeding like that"They were at a big movie convention. But thats all he said. I didn't breast feed so he never saw me do it or have to do it in public. But with the next one, if I do, then I know he would prefer me to do it somewhere private. Thats how he is. But who cares what the guys think? I personally think, the baby needs to eat! Screw anyone who has a problem with it :]
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 10:19 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• In our circle of friends, everyone breastfeeds in front of everyone- and the men are good with it. I'm proud of them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• DH is fine with it and has encouraged me to BF in public when I was nervous about it.
    smalltowngal

Answer by smalltowngal at 10:19 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I don't believe my fiance cares, he is a phsician so he said it's a natural way for women to feed their children as long as they don't expose themselves and do it discreit about it.
    lily7

Answer by lily7 at 10:20 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• My husband is not bothered by it. We did see a woman recently with both breast hanging out while breastfeeding. She had the baby on one the other one was just there hanging out for all to see. People looked at her then she got mad and yelled at them. A woman told her to cover up the breast she was not using and no one would be staring. I doubt anyone would have noticed her had she not had her gigantic boob just sitting there. She was 400lbs at least and her shirt was down. It was really gross. That was the only time my husband was negative about a woman breast feeding.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Most men will not tell there wives the truth about there real feeling about seeing an exposed breast in public, weather a kid is sucking on it or not.. I will guess (I never asked my DH) he gets a thrill off it. Boobs are Boobs to men.

Answer by louise2 at 10:24 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I don't think he really cares. Breastfeeding is not disgusting or a bad thing, but because some ppl are so closedminded, they make it a negative thing. Same as sex. its suppose to be and enjoyable moment for married couples and ppl (such as ppl in the porn industries)make it a negative thing.
    kyheavensmom

Answer by kyheavensmom at 10:36 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I asked my husband about it and he was like, "If I thought anything I guess I thought her kid was hungry and she was feeding it. Who cares? It's not like it's sexy or anything."
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 10:44 AM on Apr. 15, 2009