Racism not what it once was......

I have been reading the comments from different sites that are running the Miley Cyrus/ Jamie Foxx story. Most people responding to the story are very angry about the double standard when it comes to racist comments. I realize that some of you will only find the "white b*tch" portion as minorly racist, but I contend that if it had been an African American celebrity that a white "comedian" had said go make a sex tape or do herion, those comments alone would have been viewed as racist!

My own opinion is that yes there is racism still today but that it's not what it was in the 60's. Now it's a backlash against the double standard and the chip on the shoulders. I have seen Aa's get preferential and deferential treatment my whole life and then complain ALL the time and jump down EVERYONES throats for doing and saying the same things they do (i.e. jokes, the N word) What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think you aren't a minority that has lived in a small white town. Racism as it was is still there.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 10:31 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Around here we have a term. DWB, driving while black. I have actually heard a cop use the term. I have heard white comedians make fun of black people before. I've heard Kathy Griffin make fun of Dakota Fanning who is a lot younger than Miley. I think he crossed the line but I've definitely heard worse.
    smalltowngal

Answer by smalltowngal at 10:33 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Putting race aside, we have a grown man attacking a 16 year old kid for saying something stupid. What 16 year old kid hasn't said or done something stupid? Someone needs to grow up and it isn't Miley Cyrus.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Jamie Foxx is a moron and not really that funny. He made fun of a 16 year old girl what a big man. He owes that child an apology. Talking about her making a porno is very inappropriate. If he gets the crap knocked out of him by her daddy he would deserve it. Of course if Billy Ray hits him that would be called racism. Got to love American.eye rolling

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I do live in a small predominantly white community and the people here are so negative towards hispanics, but quite accepting of blacks, so I do know that it does exist. It seems to have changed shape a bit and become directed at a different group of people, but it still exists. I know there are people who still have issues with black people but the majority dont and because people were forced to accept the change or be considered racist, they pretty much have. Now that the once very much discriminated against group of people arent in the same situation anymore, they think its okay to say and do what they want because they can always go back to the " race card". Of course these are all stereotypes. I think being a celebrity has alot do to with this. They automatically think they can do and say what they want without consequences. I think each case of true racism needs to be dealt with on an individual basis.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:36 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Apparently this stuff will never end.I get sick and tired of all the race card playing and excuses too as if that is going to help mesh out what racism still exists.So because of something that was waaay more prevelant years and years ago some will pretend we are still back in those times and use it till the end of time to their advantage.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Jamie Foxx went after a teen age girl made remarks about her needing to do a porno and use drugs. There were racial under tones as well. What he did was so inappropriate and he should be fired. Kids are off limits. At the very least he owes this child an apology. If he is thinking about teenage girls and sex he needs to get some help. He is a disgusting and vile person and I have tossed the two movies we own that he is in out. If this had been a white man verbally attacking a black teen girl he would be in hiding right now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• uhhhhhh, come to the dirty south! I have learned to accept that people are just as racist as they were before. It is ingrained in some of the culture down here. Growing up, i never heard the "N" word in conversation. Now, i don't have any personal friends that are racist, but some of their family members are. I recently went down to a party in S. GA. I was sickened w/ how often i heard the "N" word, & i wanted to stand up & say something but i was a guest & kept my mouth closed. But, that has happened quite a few times down here. Every day i witness a racist comment, usually at work. I think since it is not PC, people tend to keep more quite about it then the 60's era. I'm not even a minority, but i can see all the racism that is around. It's everywhere in all American cultures.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:43 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and free speech. But Foxx has shown himself as one that could be compared with the likes of Imus and Gibson. I think he is a racist and on the verge of being a Pedophile and pervert. Imus lost his job. What will happen to Foxx?
    myame

Answer by myame at 10:43 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• oh yeah, about the Jaime Fox thing. I personally CAN"T STAND MILEY CIRUS! She is a cocky, egotistical brat & she is not that pretty & her voice both singing & speaking is aweful. But, your right she is only 16 & Mr. Fox could have at least kept his comment to himself. I can guarantee though......she is just another Brittany, or Lindsay waiting to happen. Most likely she will have a sex tape out too withint the next 5 years, & showing her hoo haa as she is getting out of Limo's. SO GLAD that my 7 year old daughter does not like her.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:48 AM on Apr. 15, 2009