how do i get my son off of the bottle

he turned a year in march...he drinks everything (juice and water) out of a sippy cup but wants his milk in a bottle. i tried the cio thing-- about 1 1/2 hours i gave in. (imo thats too long) i have tried only water in the bottle trying to get him off i have tried no bottle at all....what else can i do to make this easier....or should i just give him a little time???

ashley1363

Asked by ashley1363 at 10:36 AM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The only thing you can do is take it away from him completely and not give in. He is smarter than you think - he has already learned that if he cries you will give him what he wants.

You know he can/will drink from a sippy cup. Throw all your bottles out so he has not other option. (that is what I will be doing on my daughters first birthday next month)
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 10:38 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• JB was the same way.. One night i went to walmart and got those soft tip sippy cups 3 to be exact.. gave him one everynight just at bed time.. put him to bed and he cried it out.. for a week and during the day i used the hard tip ones.. SO.. to this day it only took a week tops and he was off and running with his sippy cups.. you have to be strong with this.. i thought JB was maybe still to small to be off it but i held my ground and it workd for me..
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 10:45 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Everyone will tell you something diff. Does he get a bottle to go to sleep with? Or are you just talking about during the day? If it's for falling asleep it will take longer for him to get over it. I think he needs a little more time but that's my opinion. I think one year olds don't really understand why they can't have their bottle anymore.
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 10:59 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• he only takes the bottle at nap time or bed time.
    ashley1363

Answer by ashley1363 at 11:27 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Stop giving the bottle period. Give him nothing but milk in the sippy, at any time of the day, until he drinks it. He will not allow himself to go thirsty for long.

He CAN drink from a sippy cup, so he doesn't need the bottle. There's no reason to still give him a bottle. It's just a habit.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:51 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• my son used a bottle til he was two and in daycare they took it away... but his one his still a baby....
    Moonbeam2830

Answer by Moonbeam2830 at 12:05 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• haha riley did the same thing!!! his bottles had sippy cup nipples i put on them so he's still holding the bottle, its just converted into a sippy cup. do your bottles have different nipples?

my friend told me to just not give into him, that he'll get thirsty and just take the sippy cup cuz he'll want some milk somehow but riley was so stubborn i wasn't gonna let him go the whole day with no milk!!
    kristierobinson

Answer by kristierobinson at 3:54 PM on Apr. 15, 2009