how high should you let a 2 year old temperature get before taking them to the er?

my son is 2 1/2 and he threw up acouple of times in the middle of the night and then when he woke up he had a little bit of diarrhea. He was fine all day long and then about 6 pm he started throwing up. he's thrown up about 5 times and his temp was 103.3 I gave him some Tylenol and it;s almost been 20 minutes where I will recheck it but I was wondering how high I should let it get before I take him to the er?

stacieq

Asked by stacieq at 12:56 AM on Aug. 3, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• 104.0 is considered a fever for that age group, so not until then.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:57 AM on Aug. 3, 2008

• Not until 104 or if you think the vomiting is becoming excessive.

If the Tylenol doesn't bring the temp down much you can alternate with Motrin. Sometimes one works and the other doesn't.
    AussieMum2

Answer by AussieMum2 at 1:04 AM on Aug. 3, 2008

• i agree with the above. Try alternating the tylenol and motrin. Make sure your child is not getting dehydrated. Maybe offering ice chips or a popcicle. Try a luke warm bath, letting his arm pits n hair get a little wet for a while helps too. It's horrible to have a sick one :( Get well soon lil' guy!
    JJzMaMa87

Answer by JJzMaMa87 at 1:07 AM on Aug. 3, 2008

• if the child has a fever over 101.0 F they are considered contagious if they have a bug....if the child has the runs give them unsweet tea the sugar will make it worse and tea has minerals that the child will lose having the runs.... and if they are vomiting multiple times and running a fever over 103F it is advised to take them to the ER to be sure there isnt an even more serious problem
    autumearth

Answer by autumearth at 4:14 PM on Aug. 31, 2008