Does your Son ever tell you he cant wait till he is 18 and he can move out? ahhhh!!

So over the last year my son is so cocky with me its making me so angry. I keep telling myself its the age, i will get through this. Sometimes I feel like it will never end. He mumbles under his breath constantly and will say straight out, "i cant wait to move out" now keep in mind this boy has no reason to be saying this because he is very well taken care of and he knows I am a good mom. I may not be perfect but I am raising these kids on my own doing a good job if you ask me. But his mouth is just getting to me. He doensnt curse or say really ignorant things to me because that would not be going down in this house but he always has to have the last word!! it drives me nuts. Anyone else going through this?

bellamommyof4

Asked by bellamommyof4 at 10:44 AM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Haha I didn't read your details, but I told my mom this all the time LOL and I did because I got pregnant. Haha :) But I was really all talk. I didn't know I'd really move out!!!
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 10:46 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• My son is 13 and will say, "I hate my life, I can't wait to grow up so I can do what I want". Ha Ha is all I think. And he doesn't have a reason to say this other than he doesn't always get his way. Don't stress over it. I can remember telling my mom the same thing too!! It's just talk.
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 10:51 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I call that talking back. I would tell him. I can't wait either.Cause I am tired of hearing it from you. Then I would have proceed to take all his perks away from him..Cell phone, computer,car, licence,I pod. Games.. Sounds like he is old enough to get a job..Tell him to get a job..And your will sell him back his stuff if he want it.  Make him pay for his own cell bill.

Answer by louise2 at 10:55 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I am so there with you girl! My son is turning 13 in June and his voice is changing, he is a grumpy mess, and so help me.. if he rolls his eyes at me ONE MORE TIME!!.. I don't know what happened to the sweet little boy I raised but this moody little monster that has invaded my sons body is about to drive me crazy! If this is any indication of what the next 5 years are going to be like... I am screwed! I thought girls were supposed to be the moody hormonal messes.. and then my hubby tells me boys go through this too?!! UGH.. He hasn't told me he cant wait til he is 18 yet... but Lord I see it coming! (hes probably afraid I will tell him to go now! LOL!) I have had him go from raving mad at me to crying his eyes out in warp speed time! I really was wondering if he has multiple personalities or something! Thank God there are others dealing with this too! Sorry I am not much help, but I am glad I am not alone!! GL! praying 4u!
    Tzutchka

Answer by Tzutchka at 11:15 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• My son did tell me he wanted to run away (because I wouldnt let a friend spend the night) and all I told him was he better walk.. because by the time I go looking for him he will be tired of running! He hasnt said it again.. I think he may have believed me lol!
    Tzutchka

Answer by Tzutchka at 11:17 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• My daugter says she is moving out at 18, getting a scooter, etc. We just calmly go along with it and ask her how she is going to pay - she'll work but also go to school. Then we start listing all the things to pay fr - insurance , phone, etc. And she starts to looking at us like we're wierd, and little by little it has become more of a joke than a threat.

My son tells us he's staying til he's 30. Go figure!
    PhillyinFrance

Answer by PhillyinFrance at 11:38 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• When you have a chance to speak to him calmly, start with "I truly don't want you to move out, but since you keep repeating it, let's see if we can work it out. Here's the classified ads for apartments and jobs. I'll let you keep the cell, but it will only work until the end of this month. Your iPod is yours, but the computer you charge it on is mine. The clothes you have should last you the rest of this season, but you'll need to save a couple hundred dollars for new ones by next season. We'll have to call the school to arrange bus pick-up from your new location. Is there anything I'm forgeting?" Chances are he'll back off. If not, have HIM start calling utilities to arrange to be self-sufficient. They won't give him service even if he does find an apartment, or they'll require a couple hundred dollars to start. Kids hate reality but 1) he has to face it and 2) he REALLY wants to hear the "I don't want you to leave" part.
    cutiemoose

Answer by cutiemoose at 11:41 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• http://www.drspock.com/article/0,1510,4171,00.html another mom gave me this address it might help. My daughter has actually calmed down a little, but I was reading it to keep up the good work. Hopefully it helps me and you.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 12:05 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• No, but I would be hard pressed not to tell him not to wait. There is the door - go. Don't try to use that emotional abusive BS on me. I'll rent your room out and recoup some of the money I wasted try to rear you to be a quality adult.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 12:49 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Yep, my 21yo. He moved out the day he turned 18 and now he wishes he hadn't. Being on his own sucked. He ended up dropping out of high school, moved in with his gf's family and not too long after that they found out they were having a baby. He thought the grass was WAY greener on the other side of the fence. Now, at 21, he realizes that he shouldn't have been in such a rush to grow up. My 17 and 18yo sons are not so anxious to grow up. They are looking forward to college of course but neither of them have plans to move out while they are still in high school. They saw what happened to their brother when he tried to fly out of the nest before his wings were ready. They already HAVE bills and they know that know way could they afford MORE bills at thiss point unless they work full time and they cannot do that AND go to school, play sports, be in drama and be on a college track for scholarships. Talk to your son.
    Anonymous