how do i get my 2 yr old to take a nap?

so my daughter hasn't been wanting to take a nap for the past few months. everytime i lay her down in her bed she screams and then ends up get out over and over and over or she will sit there and play in her bed. if she doesnt take one then she sleeps horrible at night. when she finally takes a nap she will sleep for a long time 2 or more hours so i know she is tired but she has been resisting lately.

whitt655

Asked by whitt655 at 11:03 AM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Consistency. Keep her on the same schedule and don't give her toys to play with. If she gets up go in and put her back in bed. Once she see's she has nothing to play with and your not going to put up with her getting up she will stop.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 11:05 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• find something to do that she enjoys right before. i always let my son pick out a book for me to read to him. he loves to be read to but often times he is too hyper to sit down and pay attention. reading a book is my way to signal to him its time to slow it down. but other things could work. a favorite show, telling a story (i always told 3 little pigs before my son got old enough for books), taking a bath, etc. as long as every day afterwards its naptime- period.
    ErikLynn

Answer by ErikLynn at 11:54 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I just leave DD in her room at naptime (noon ) till she falls asleep . If she doens't fall asleep wihtin a hour then I let her come out and play for a bit longer till she acts more tired then send her to her room again for a nap . It usually works.
    baby1love

Answer by baby1love at 1:49 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I actually lay down with my son (he is 21/2) and we pretend that he is putting me to sleep.
    liszinj

Answer by liszinj at 1:49 PM on Apr. 15, 2009