Pacifier Use?

My son just turned nine months old and he uses a pacifier to sleep with and for car rides. He wakes up every night about three times a night and all I do is go into his room and give him his pacifier and he goes right back to bed. I just got home from my doctors appointment and my doctor says I should take his pacifier away and he will train himself to sleep through the night without it after a few nights. My doctor says my son does not know how to put himself back to sleep with out it because I run in and give it to him. Has anyone been in this situation? any helpful suggestions would be great. Thanks!!

Julie0039

Asked by Julie0039 at 11:04 AM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my daughter isthe same way and i let her keep it i dont plan on taking it away until i eel she is ready or she gives it up on her own...because those nights that you tke it away nobody will sleep unles you find a different way to put th baby to bed then they get attached to that and i see no point in it as long as its not hurting anything or anyone....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Your doctor is right. He will learn. Start taking it away at naps and in the car and work up to the night time. It is bad for his teeth and later on speech. Don't give in, he can fuss and learn to put himself to sleep on his own. If he is 9 months and wants his pacifier he should know how to find it and put it back in himself and if you take it out while he is asleep then he doesn't need it once you lay him down.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 11:07 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• yes. My dd was the same way. she would have it during the day too so when she was 6 months I started taking it away during the day and at 7 months I would only let her have it at bed and by 8 months she wouldnt even touch it. Take your time but be persistant. it will take a while for him to get used to it but he will. My dd used to wake up about 5 times a night because her binki fell out, now she wakes up 1 or 2 times. once for a bottle and not all the time but we have noisy neighbors and they wake her up! Gl and keep strength
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 11:09 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• The best thing we did in this situation (it was around 6 months though) was getting her to go to sleep at the beginning of the night without it... and what worked so that this happened WITHOUT crying was switching up the routine so that instead of being nursed to sleep (or put to sleep with a bottle by my husband on nights I was away), we fed her with the lights on and then read her a book or two. She wanted the pacifier after nursing to keep herself soothed, but the book distracted her so she didn't care. Then we would turn out the lights and sing her a song or two, signaling to her that it's bedtime, then we'd put her in her crib awake but calm. She'd just talk herself to sleep. If they fall asleep without the pacifier, they're far less likely to be looking for it when they wake up.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:40 AM on Apr. 15, 2009