HELP FETAL ALOCHOL SYNDROME WHAT CAN I DO?

My grandson is 3 months old. I am not allowed to visit, see him, or bond with him. My daughter has a PFA (protection from abuse order) placed on me from November 24, 2008 for 2 years. This was done before my grandson was born. He was born in NJ. She and my grandson live in NJ. Youth and Family Services are involved due to the many calls they have received regarding my daughters behavior and neglect of my grandson. I need to stop pushing DYFUS that's NJ's Youth and Family Services allow My Higher Power to intervene at this point.

What Iam looking for is ANYONE OUT THERE HAVE A BABY WITH FAS and if so what does a baby with FAS need to ensure they reach their full potential. He already has the LAZY EYE and I have read that if that is not taken care of soon, the brain will teach the good eye to see and the LAZY EYE will atrophy and he will be blind in that eye.

I am desparate please help me.

gia1955

Asked by gia1955 at 11:22 AM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Health

• I would get a lawyer who knows about this type of family court related issue and go from there.
    Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 12:23 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• He is going to need Early Intervention therapy. This will be done by a therapist who will work with him and help him meet his developmental milestones. A pediatrician can make the referral for you and get you setup and started.
    Kristin21

Answer by Kristin21 at 1:02 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Ok a lot of people have strabismus and don't have it as a result of fetal alcohol syndrome and don't go blind. I have it and yes it's true your brain will stop using the affected eye and only use the affected eye when the good eye is unavailable. If you know he has this early on though, his eye can be patched and treated through therapy and / or surgery can be done to correct it. In m y case, it was not diagnosed until I was 12 and nothing was done. My good eye compensates for my bad eye and I see just fine. I remember when I was young seeing double, this must have been before the good eye took completely over. Most people are not aware there is anything wrong with my eye. If am very tired, the affected eye will turn inward slightly. If I notice it in a mirror al I have to do is cover the good eye or look at something out of good's eye's range of focus and the affected eye comes right back. I am in no danger in going blind.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 1:26 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Now I wasn't born with fetal alcohol syndrome, but unless a doctor has specifically told you t hat he will go blind I wouldn't be worrying about that. I have never been told this and I see an eyedoctor every year. Please don't worry about what could be from reading worst case scenarios on line, but instead be proactive about gaining a relationship with your grandson and daughter and becoming active in his care for his well being. Best of luck to you.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 1:32 PM on Apr. 15, 2009