Stage 3 Foods

How old was your little one when you introduced stage 3? My daughter is 9 months 3 weeks and HATES stage 3. She doesn't like the chunk of food in it. Has anyone else had this problem? Does this mean shes not ready for it? She will eat Cheerios, or biter cookies but no stage 3 with chunks of food

MommytoBe987

Asked by MommytoBe987 at 11:27 AM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try mashing the food up a little more with a fork. My daughter ate them at 5 months and is 7 now and only eats table food cut into pieces for her. She eats cheerio's and everything else and wont eat baby food.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 11:29 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• If she will eat Cheerios then she is ready for stage 3. Some babies skip stage 3 all together (my daughter only ate them for 3 weeks) because the real stuff tastes so much better. Try giving her regular food, like a banana, and see how she does.

Also, my daughter was 9 months when we started giving her a scrambled egg for breakfast (made in larger chunks so she could pick them up) french toast, pancakes, etc.

Anything that you can mash against the roof of your mouth with little to no effort with your tongue, she can gum it.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 11:30 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Stage 3 foods are SO GROSS! Have you tasted any? We tried the Pasta Primavera with my daughter and it made both she and I gag. If she's eating cheerios and stuff, I'd try giving her small bites of regular table food (softer stuff) and move from there. The stage 3s have a weird combination of chunks and purees. You can try small pasta, avocado, tofu, egg yolk omelettes, ripe pears, peeled grapes cut into 4ths, mashed potatoes, cooked carrots, canned beans (cut in half),... there are lots of possibilities.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:33 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• You should try the book "Feed me, I'm yours" It has great ideas for feeding kids. Lots of recipes.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:39 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• We never did stage 3 foods. Our pediatrician said they're nothing more than a marketing ploy and a choking hazard. (mouthful of slime and you swallow, only to find a CHUNK in your throat).

We introduced table and finger foods at 6 months and by 9 months they were eating all table foods. There is no need for stage 3 foods.

If my toothless grandmother could eat it, so could the boys....the pediatrician laughed at my logic, but said it was true! LOL (speaking for my boys, of course!)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:40 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Just skip the stage 3 and give them real food, they will love you more for it. To answer your q though I can't remember with my first but my 2nd and 3rd, we just skipped it.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Apr. 15, 2009