Where can I find resources to have a nice wedding on a small...I mean small budget?

DF and I want to get married before our baby is born. I am considering around the first of June. We are not wanting anything huge, but have family and a couple of friends that would like to be a part of the wedding.

I have considered a very private ceremony, like just a witness and the kids...and then a reception at a later date, after the baby is born. What do you think?

If we go ahead with a larger wedding now, reception included, then I need resources to make this the most inexpensive wedding I can.

We have both been married before, and I don't really know what to do for the second time around. Didn't have a big wedding the first time, he wants me to have what I want. Ceremony is not terribly important to me...but then again it is.

Oh,...HELP!!!

Sabrina3876

Asked by Sabrina3876 at 11:33 AM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Relationships

• Why not go to the court house and later on renew your vows at the reception. Save the money for the wedding you do want. If not you can look around for a magistrate or a preacher or whoever who is willing to marry you at a location for a small fee. Its up to you how cheap you go or how much you spend. Its not how many people come or how much you spend its the love you share so remember that.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 11:38 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• we did our wedding on a $1500 budget. if that's around the amount your lookin at send me a message & I will send you the things we did to keep cost low but still have a pretty wedding.
    theheartbaby

Answer by theheartbaby at 11:41 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I had a wedding for under 500 and that included the dress. We got married at a church, only had 20 guests, went back to my house and had cake and champaigne for everyone and after everyone left except family we all went out to a really fancy resturant and had dinner.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 11:42 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I wanted my dd's wedding to be elegant but inexpensive. Her groom's grandmother refused to go if it was in a church so she offered her back yard. I was pissed but went with it. I asked around for "who in the family was a photographer?" That was the biggest expense off the budget when we found a family member to do that. We got the dress at a bridal shop for a steal during a sale and it had a spot on it so they reduced it to half the sale price! We had a neighbor be the DJ. Other than it being too hot for a "formal" wedding outside it turned out to be a lovely setting and a great experience. Just ask who bakes wedding cakes or order a small one. You can find good deals on food at Sam's Club or get it catered and you pick up the items instead of them serving (to save money). Weddings don't have to be expensive. I bought the bride's maids dresses at a consignment store. You can even rent dresses in some places.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:46 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• My mom did my wedding and she went to a lot of second hand stores and found all kinds of nice things.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Hit consignment stores for your wedding dress and bridesmaids dresses, or if you know someone that can sew, see if they'd make them for you. The guys can wear plain suits or just a white shirt and tie to match the dresses. Buy silk flowers instead of real for your bouquets, or else have the girls carry just a single stem rose or whatever with ribbon. Have a late afternoon wedding, like 3 p.m., and just serve cake and punch afterwards. You can make a regular round layer cake and really dress it up with a nice little cake topper and silk flowers, then make regular 9 x 13 cakes and serve those to the guests. You can buy invitations from Walmart and print them on your own computer. Go to www.orientaltrading.com to find decorations, supplies and favors.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 12:05 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• My wedding cost about $300 + a donation. We got married at a friends house. We gave the minister a donation for the church; we bought finger foods-like platters from the grocery store; and the wedding cake. I hand made and filled my gift boxes for people to take home. Nice and simple, but beautiful. We took pictures together and with everyone there. After the ceremony we had a party/reception. In the future we'll go and have a real Church wedding with all of our family and friends. We'll even have our 2 kids be a part of the wedding. Best of luck.

Danni143

Answer by Danni143 at 12:12 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• ebay i got the most beautiful dress for $150 and we had our wedding in a back yard. also the cake topper was fake but the rest was real. we asked around for people in our church who could do things. we got the tables and chairs from the church. i got the table clothes from my sil who had a friend who runs weddings. my mother made most of the food. just ask around on who can help pay for things. i got my 7 sils to help with paying for the center pieces.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 12:53 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I got lucky and got my wedding dress for free and so my hubby got his tux free too (his mom volunteers at the local thrift store). You chould check at those. I had my bridesmaids (I only had three) wear dresses that they already had. The groomsmen wore white shirts and khaki pants. We had the wedding at the local park. And we had the reception at the local boy scout hall. We got both those for like $35 bucks. All the decorations and things were found at Walmart. They have some gorgeous stuff in there.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 1:12 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I did my cousin's wedding on a budget using ebay, oriental trading co. (for decorations), Have it during the day and you only have to do appetizers. Getting cocktail shrimp at Sam's is good for appetizers. You can do the frozen meatballs in a chili sauce. Message me if you want more ideas. I love party planning.
    mrsmendoza2006

Answer by mrsmendoza2006 at 3:10 PM on Apr. 15, 2009