Is there anything you can suggest to get a 3yr old boy to go to the potty have tried everything but he cries and will not go but tells you when he is wetting or pooping

we have tried treats, buying all different kinds of potty chairs trying to use the big john but nothing helps

gilbert389

Asked by gilbert389 at 11:37 AM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I have the same challeng, my son is just over 4, and been trying for a long time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Consistency. Get rid of all the diapers and pull ups and put him in underwear. Take him to the potty and make him sit for a few minutes every hour until he goes. If he goes in his underwear then take him to the toilet and tell him this is where you go, not in your underwear.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 11:47 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• boys are tough...my son was the same way.......I agree w/ the post above me....pull ups are not good.....they are the devil......brailynsmama08 has the best advice.........just KEEP IT UP...it will happen....
    dottief13

Answer by dottief13 at 12:23 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I say give it a rest for a month or 2 and then try again. When my son turned 3 I was determined he would be potty trained! I got rid of all of his diapers (I was using cloth) and put him in regular underpants. I tried treats, the "potty training it a day". I tried making him clean up when he peed on the floor, being in charge of taking of his dirty pants and putting on new ones ( thought for sure he'd get tired of that!). he didn't care one bit. He would happily pee in his pants, go into the bathroom and change into clean pants and go back to what he was doing.

This is a very smart, and very strong willed child. I could not understand how he could be reading at 3 yrs old and not potty trained!! Basically, I was the one who suffered until he was ready. He finally was trained at 4 yr 2 mos.

Sometimes, it is best to just wait a bit!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:54 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• my daughter is 2 and she just got done potty training to where she wears under pants and doesn't wet them!!! i couldn't get her to train for nothing!!! i had her dad do it and she is trained!!! wtf????? i tried everything too but the doc said when she is ready she will go!!! you can't push it on them!!! i mean a certain time is right to be done by, but if your child isn't ready there isn't nothing you can do!!! just keep workin on it!!! i bought my kids their favorite people on their underwear and put it over their pullups and told them if they like wearing their favorite underwear then they need not to go to the potty in them or we will have to take them off!!! my son that worked for but when i did it with my daughter she didn't wanna listen!!! her dad did it and she was broken with in 1 month!!! try swithchin if you can with your husband!!!
    BELLENTERRY

Answer by BELLENTERRY at 1:55 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• i'm struggling with my tot too
    peoso

Answer by peoso at 1:59 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Have any of you mothers that are struggling asked your kids what they are so scared of? I am not saying it to be mean, i am just asking. Sometimes just asking them just kind of slips our minds. Maybe they are scared of a monster in the toilet. Sometimes it something like they don't like the feel of the seat or they like the feel of the soiled cloth against there skin. If it is this last case, talk to their doc. It may be a sensory integration thing. Plus, you can't force them to go. They will go when they are ready.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 2:32 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• well i am having same problem he is 3 n1/2 years old and couldf care less about the potty... he is not scared just seems lazy.. even when he is in underwear.. i will take him to the potty and he will go 10 min later he has wet pants on... at night he is still wetting his diaper almost always all the way through.. what do i do!????
    boysmom111

Answer by boysmom111 at 3:51 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I let my son pee outside!!! this really seemed to work because he thought that it was cool...It may sound gross, but it really worked and when the weather cooled off, we had no problems getting him to pee in the toilet...Also, LeapsandBounds.com has a urinal that actually flushes and everything...Its all about the excitement!! GOOD LUCK!!!!

Peter Potty Toddler Urinal

Introducing a faster, easier way to potty train boys: with the world's only flushable toddler urinal! Now boys can learn to go standing up from the start (just like Daddy!). The low basin makes aiming easier, promoting success and reducing mess. Kids love pushing the flush button when they're done. (Boys love it so much, they may even train faster.) Includes fillable water tank (no plumbing needed) and removable holding tray with all-day capacity. Great for transitioning to standing, too. Height adjustable, for 18 m
    amwb1201

Answer by amwb1201 at 1:04 AM on Apr. 23, 2009