Question for all you conservative tea partiers.

So, are you going to look at how fiscally responsible a candidate is before electing him next time? I feel like there are a lot of conservatives jumping on the Libertarian band wagon but will go back to voting on the anti-abortion guy next election no matter his spending habits. Please tell me I'm wrong and this isn't just a phase you guys are going through and you'll act like Ron Paul and Libertarians are crazy come the next election.

smalltowngal

Asked by smalltowngal at 11:44 AM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

Level 1 (-9 Credits)
  • blah blah blah
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 11:47 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I think a lot of people are jumping on the tea parties as a fun little idea but I suspect most of them will not vote libertarian next election. People like to joke around about stuff like abolishing taxes but when push comes to shove they usually release that it's a really stupid idea and vote for a candidate who won't try and ruin their country/state. Most people have enough sense not to vote for the lunatic fringe, be it right or left.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 11:56 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I really think this whole tea party thing is just people blowing off steam. There is a lot of anger in this country and when people are angry they don't think. It goes on both sides of the political aisle, and most 3rd parties are formed from frustration.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 12:00 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Why can't people just enjoy the fact that there are two political parties that right now are working together rather than against each other? I'm Libertarian, but I respect the views of some conservatives who are concerned about the Libertarian party's stance on abortion. That was a concern of mine as well until I researched things more. Let's try not to bash for once and just appreciate that there are similarities that allow both parties to work together for the best interests for our country.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 12:03 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Are you kidding? Youre showing your ass again smalltowngal.
    Anonymous

• I don't look at that the anti-abortion candidate as the main reason. My main reason for voting is fiscally conservative values. Now more than ever. I liked MIke Huckabee mainly for his fair tax ideals. I have voted Libertarian in the past. But honestly, I have had many repubican tea partiers state that in their opinion voting libertarian takes the vote away from the Republican Party (which has stronger ground) and then places the ball in the liberals court. It's a tough decision.
    myame

Answer by myame at 12:07 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

I don't expect all Republicans to vote Libertarian but I'm hoping their candidates in the future will go back more to being Republicans. They're suppose to be against big spending and big government and I feel like party got lost along the way. I'm hoping if more conservatives demand better from their party, that their will be a better choice next time. Not just presidential election but state too.
    smalltowngal

Answer by smalltowngal at 12:12 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• abortion has NEVER been a "deal breaker" for me! I vote based on: Fiscal Conservancy, Military/Anti-Terrorism Strength, and whether the candidate is Pro-Capitalism and Smaller Government.

Why? Because those issues GREATLY affect this country. If someone has an abortion, it doesn't directly impact me, therefore, while it is not something I condone, it is not something I lose sleep over. Oh, and I'm conservative, but a "biannual Catholic--Christmas and Easter!"
    Anonymous

• Anyone who lets someones stance on abortion SOLELY affect their decision is just as stupid as people voting for Obama because he wasnt white.
    Anonymous

• Well, considering we usually don't get a completely "anti abortion" person to vote for anyway your question is moot.

Abortion is important to me, but it isn't at the top of my list. Great way to categorize us though.

Geeezzzzz.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:32 PM on Apr. 15, 2009