When did you give your infant juice?

SweetMama823

Asked by SweetMama823 at 11:51 AM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The only real reason to give juice is if your baby is constipated and you've already tried fruit (if s/he is old enough to eat fruit), or if your baby is sick and not keeping milk down but still needs to be hydrated. Juice is full of sugar and doesn't have all the benefits of fruit. Lots of babies start preferring it quickly to milk and water. If you give juice, dilute it at least 50% water. But I'd avoid it. My 22 month-old daughter still only gets juice if she's sick or if it's a really special occasion. My 7 month-old hasn't tasted it yet.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:55 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I started juice at 6 months, mixed 50/50 with water.

Babies don't need it, though. There really isn't any good reason to give it. I actually started it to cut down on the amount of formula. They were taking almost 50oz per day and we started table foods, too.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:02 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• i offered my son juice around 7 or 8 months. and it was a very very tiny amt in a sippy cup, diluted with water. and you have to treat the juice like new foods, waiting 3-4 days before introducing something else new.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 12:05 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I started around 6 months, mixed 50/50 with water, and it really was only because I was introducing the sippy cup. I would give it to her and let her do with it what she wanted for the afternoon. (sometimes drink, sometimes play, lol)
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:05 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I started juice when my son was 6 months old. My doctor recommended that he have 8oz of juice a day-no more than that (and of course to dilute it with water) But my son drinks the V8*Vfusion juice that has a full serving of fruits and veggies. (But I believe it was recommended to my son for different reasons-he doesn't eat many veggies) It may be different for every baby though...

CarieP

Answer by CarieP at 12:06 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• We started a little after 6 months. We would dilute it to 50/50 and at the most she only gets it twice a week.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 12:20 PM on Apr. 15, 2009