What does it mean to cast pearls before swine?

My husband and I saw a family member say something about this in a letter to us but couldn't figure out what she was referring to. Of course, we looked it up and saw that it's from the bible, but I am just wondering what a real life example of this would be?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:06 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• It means not to give valuable knowledge to people that lack understanding. What is the point in given then wisdom that will help them when you know the only thing they are going to do is either take it in the wrong way or twist it around. God needs to open their spiritually insight before you can talk to them, they will never understand what you are saying and will just make you frustrated.

Anonymous

• It pretty much means to take something sacred and put it out in front of those who have no respect for it whatsoever. An example I remember hearing when I was younger was sex and purity. A womans purity is special and isn't something they should go around throwing in front people who have no respect for it, or who would make fun of it. It is something for the woman to hold onto until she finds someone who is worthy of it. Another example would be something like a rosary or a cross. Those have special, sacred meanings and are not things you hand out to a bunch of drunk, men who are hooting at you. Hope that makes sense
    Anonymous

• Anon beat me to it... It means not to waist your time giving information to those that won't use it... You know, like all the messages I get telling me I'm going to hell and I need to read my bible... Those would be wasted... As I am not interested!

Although I guess in that analogy, I'm a swine... EWWW!! - OINK! lol!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:17 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• LOL @ Sabrina!! You're a hoot, girl.

My take is pretty much the same. To me, it speaks of the word of God. If someone isn't ready or willing to hear about Him, then it's pointless to try and to fight it. To argue and fight and say "you're wrong! You're going to hell!!" isn't going to do any good when someone isn't ready or willing.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 12:24 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Pearls in this case represents the word of God, a beautiful treasure. You would not want to give someone a beautiful set of pearls and then see them throw it in the mud and trample on it. Pearls are priceless as well as God's word. Sharing God's word takes wisdom and knowledge. There are people who chose to not receive it then we need to be wise not to keep giving it. Otherwise we have treated Gods word carelessly .

Amazing how non believers understand this! :-) That's cool!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:53 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• ahhh I went to the scripture and wow.... here it is in context....
    Matthew 7 Judging Others
    1"Do not judge so that you will not be judged. 2"For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you. 3"Why do you look at the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? 4"Or how can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' and behold, the log is in your own eye? 5"You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye. 6"Do not give what is holy to dogs, and do not throw your pearls before swine, or they will trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you to pieces.

Good word for ALL of us ... especially Christians who choose to jump rather be wise in what they say!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:57 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• It is such a good question. I agree, the word of God is holy and we should not give it to those who are going to trample on it for fun, but to those who can have mature discussions.

Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 2:14 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Honestly, I don't put too much thought into this quote/verse as really, pearls are a waste product of the oyster. So when you think of it, the only reason its held up to be 'valuable' was b/c it was hard to get. And now, they are very common. So the concept gets lost over time. I think a new saying should be instated. LOL.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 3:35 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Answered at 2:35 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 by: ozarkgirl3
    Honestly, I don't put too much thought into this quote/verse as really, pearls are a waste product of the oyster. So when you think of it, the only reason its held up to be 'valuable' was b/c it was hard to get. And now, they are very common. So the concept gets lost over time. I think a new saying should be instated. LOL
    ***
    Hmm . . . how about "diamonds before dung beetles"?
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 3:56 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• "Do NOT cast Diamonds before Dung Beetles for they will roll them in dodo " so saith the jenni

OK, I like that!!!!

lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 5:00 PM on Apr. 15, 2009