hand me downs? garage sales?

my husbands family on his moms side is really nice (for the most part) but how do i tell them that i dont want used things from garage sales for my baby (like cribs,toys,clothes,etc.) also the hand me downs from them always come with stains and are so worn i wouldnt use them for rags. i know they dont have a lot of money (niether do we!) but how do i tell them i dont want them without sounding like a rich snobby yuppie?

dilemma1

Asked by dilemma1 at 12:08 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• id still take them noone said you had to use it . i still think it is rude to say it isnt new i dont want it . it is all the can afford .
    Anonymous

• you cant
    just dont use them
    i use a buy a LOT of stuff on consighnment used/ect, but i only buy stuff that still looks nice
    my dad's wife gets him to buy things for my son that like you- i wouldnt use for rags, he never let me look so scragly idk why he thinks i would let my son
    i just give them back to good will or throw them away
    lol
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 12:11 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Let them off the hook and don't ask them for gifts at all.... If used is all they can afford and you don't want to accept used (which no one blames you) then you can only just let them off the hook completely... you can't ask them to spend money they don't have,. OR you could accept the used things, use what you deem usable and donate the rest. You shouldn't hurt their feelings over it, and you shouldn't steal their joy or doing for the baby.... be gracious Momma, be tactful and every thing will work out.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 12:12 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Just buy your own stuff. Tell her have everything you need.
    Anonymous

• Toys and such are great to get at garage sales! You can sanitize them and your little one will enjoy them just as much as if they were bought from Babies R Us at full price. As for the clothes with stains, I wouldn't want those either. Just thank them, go through the clothes and keep the ones in good condition. Then pass along the others to friends, Goodwill or Freecycle.com.

dze527

Answer by dze527 at 12:15 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I agree with everything but the advice about just throw it away or give it away. If they dont have the money and are broke anyway, you need to tell them not to buy anything at all or to buy from like a consignment shop or something cheap like that but where the shos actually go through which is sellable or not. You dont want them to buy stuff and then just give it away if they dont have alot of money that is just disrespectful. GL
    Anonymous

• Tell them that you appreciate their buying things for the baby but tell them you'd like to get things that looked less used and stained. Maybe they're not sure what you can use. Give them ideas of what you're looking for specifically.

Hand-me-downs are GREAT for when baby is sick or when you're bumming around the house. There's nothing wrong with wearing used clothes. I PROMISE you that your baby will poop all over their brand new clothes--right out the diaper! You'll learn real quick.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:17 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I am not sure what I would do in that situation. I am pregnant and several people have offered old stuff they have and to "give what you don't want away". Since I don't have time to take stuff to goodwill or whatever I tell them that! I say I would love to go through what you have but don't have time to take it all, go through it and then get it to goodwill, so if I can go through it at your place, great otherwise I say no thank you.
    finallyamom40

Answer by finallyamom40 at 12:20 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• or tell them instead of buying baby things use the lil money they are to open a savings account for baby :)
    that way they still feel helpful, and you dont have to deal with it, plus baby has a college account started
    Anonymous

• just look through them! if you see something literally covered with an old stain or its ripped up, i'm sure they'd understand it's trash. if it's fixable enough to look like new, doesnt take much to wash it! if you already have so much of what is offered and it wouldnt ever be used (you never know, but some items are obvious more than others), kindly say "thank you soooo much, but I already have this teddy bear..." lol I dunno but you get what i'm sayin? I was given so many baby clothes, and seeing how often I changed my son I was happy to have them all, but I looked through his closet the other day and found outfits that still had tags on them, or forgot I had and he is too big for them!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 12:27 PM on Apr. 15, 2009