How can I tell if a daycare is safe for my 6 month old?!

My son is 6 months old and I need to go back to work. I am actually going back into the military and I need to go back into training for about 4 months so my husband, whom I am in the middle of seperating, offered to take care of him. The thing is he is in the military too and my 6 month old son will need to be put in Daycare during the day. My husband lives in Georgia and I will be pretty far away. I will fly down there and get him situated but I am wicked scared of putting him in a daycare. Im already going to have a hard time leaving him because I haven't ever spent even a day without him. I literally get sick when I think of the things that could go on in a daycare center. I hear all these horrible stories of child abuse, neglect, death and even just the fact that the children just get ignored. How can I tell if he will be safe?

PhlyLuvzOwain

Asked by PhlyLuvzOwain at 12:25 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My best suggestion is to go and check out the facility yourself. And trust your gut. They usually have to be registered with the state, so contact the state and see what they can tell you about the center. Also, do some research on line about the center and ask them if they have any referrences that they would be able to give you to check out. But go and take about an hour at the center, see how the kids are, how the teachers are, etc. They like it if you make an appointment to do this. But it's best if you just go in when you can and check, like a surprise visit. That way they don't have time to prepare for your arrival. Most importantly, follow your gut. If you get an icky feeling, then check out other places. You can also get a check list on line of things to look for at a good/great day care.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 12:31 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Check out the daycare, get references from people who have sent their kids there, and contact DCFS to see if there's been any reported incidents.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:31 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Do research just like with everything else in life. Take a tour, talk with other parents in the area if you have the chance. My girls go to Tutor Time and I found that to be a GREAT day care center. They mix child care with teaching. My daughter will enter kinder this year and she is reading and writting at a 1st - 2nd grade level. If there is a Tutor Time in your area I would look into that, if not Child Time is the sister school of Tutor Time.
    LimoMOM5

Answer by LimoMOM5 at 12:32 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Meet with the daycare providers. Your gut will give you a good hint as to whether or not this is a good place for him. Our state's DHS website has a "report card" area for daycare centers. Anything they find - good or bad and any complaints are all public files and you can see them online. Maybe they have something like that for that area. The daycare is also required to let you see this information so if they have problems, you should know it. Yes, there are cases of neglect and abuse in daycares but there are actually more reported cases of parents doing it to their own child than reported cases of it happening in someone else's care. When parents pay attention, ask questions and listen to their gut, its less likely to happen. People fail to realize the thousands of kids who really love their daycare provider. My son's daycare teacher is like a member of our family now.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 12:33 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I work in daycare. and if they are a ligit center then they will let you spend the day there to watch how they interact with the children. also i would drop him off and come back at a random time to check how hes is doing. the day thing will also help him to get use to not being held and helped by mama all the time.
    also make sure of the number of kids that they can have in the center and how many each person takes care of at a time. sometimes they try and get by with haveing more then they are allowed. so watch that. you can also talk to some parents that already go there or ask the owner if there is a way of contacting a couple of ex parents and ask them why they left and their experience.
    good for you joining up. my hubby is AF and we love it. It was a good choice for us. Have fun in Basic!!!
    acox7490

Answer by acox7490 at 12:37 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Day care's really aren't that bad. Like most things in the news, the bad is always in the spotlight and you never get to see the good. My dd has been in day care since 8 weeks and is fine. She loves her teachers and the teachers take good care of her. Interivew the teachers then google day care checklist for ideas on what to check. Check out this site, too. http://www.gaccrra.org/

Anonymous