• In the Spotlight:

Chickenpox Vaccine

What did you/are you going to do? Though it makes sense from a public health standpoint, I feel iffy about vaccinating my kid and her only having partial immunity as an adult (when catching the disease is more serious) when getting it as a child gives you (virtually) full immunity and it's not so serious as a kid. But if we all vaccinated our children, the disease would disappear and there would be no worry when they're adults.

doubleyouteeeff

Asked by doubleyouteeeff at 12:31 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I agree with you 100% and wish I hadn't gotten my kids that vaccine. I didn't research any of them before giving them to them because I trusted my doctor's opinion. If I could go back in time, I'd opt out of that one for sure!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:32 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Also, I think they're trying to make it mandatory (or standard) to give them a chicken pox vaccine booster for Kindergarten? I won't be getting that for my kids if that's the case.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:33 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• vaccinate vaccinate vaccinate
    we are seeing more and more cases due to moms that dont
    poor babies....
    Anonymous

• they are not working on it - it IS mandatory now to have a booster before school
    more cases of measles, mumps, chicken pox ect have show up due to mis informed mommies not getting the vax
    i feel bad for theese kids
    Anonymous

• My kids all had the vaccine.

It's also mandatory for our school system anyway. Yes, I know I could do all the paperwork to have an exception made for them, yada, yada, yada....but I personally wanted them protected from it.

Kids who have chicken pox are no more "immune" as adults. The virus lies dormant in their systems and when they become adults they are more likely to come down with shingles (the adult version of chicken pox)
    Anonymous

• I vaxed my dd, but wouldn't be concerned if she caught it as a child. It's just chicken pox. I had it for about a week.
    Anonymous

• It is far more serious for an adult to have the chicken pox than it is for a child. I would rather my child get it when they're young and be done with it than have to suffer with it when they're older. The vaccine does not prevent it 100%. I had shingles last year as an adult and it's nothing to worry about. Ya just itch like crazy!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 1:10 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• For what it's worth, two of my brothers and I all got chicken pox as adults (how we all managed to avoid it as kids is beyond me). As an adult, they can actually treat it to reduce the severity. I was sick for maybe 2 days and that was it. Kids can also get very sick if they get it so vaccinating the kids is the way to go.
    Anonymous

• I dont care for this vaccine however in NJ it is mandatory for kids to have it unless I use religion to opt out. My son unfortunately had it at 18 months since he goes to daycare. :(
    liszinj

Answer by liszinj at 1:43 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• It is mandatory for schools, although certain states have religous and medical waivers.. only 21 (I think it is) have philosophical waivers. And yes you can have adult immunity because you are exposed to children that have been vaccinated every day.. all the time.. and you may not even know it. Thus the reason it's dangerous for a pregnant woman to be around a child who was just vaccinated or a child who has the illness. The patient who was vaccinated sheds a small amount of the vaccine.According to the WHO, 10-20 years after the vaccination more than 90% of the population is still immune, there will always be "wild varicella", and the occassional rare case where someone isn't receptive to the vaccine.

Anonymous