potty training

What is a good age to start to try potty training? my mother in law says that my husband wasnt potty trained until he was 3 but I want to have my son potty trained by 2! well I'm hoping. he is 8 months now and has 7 teeth takes a sippy cup, he takes a bottle only for naps and bed time, eats some foods with bits in it, he crawls he don't walk yet and he has already said MOM! he sleeps all night, he walks along the furniture so i figure he will be walking soon! His dr says he is advanced for his age so i thought that since he is so advanced maybe i can potty train him early. I'm going to try taking the bottle completely away on his 1st birthday in July.

TatymMommi

Asked by TatymMommi at 12:33 PM on Apr. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's up to the child. I wanted my son potty trained by 2. But he didn't officially get potty trained til he was 4. You can't force them into it, you just have to wait until they are ready. If you force it, it will NEVER work and you'll end up aggrivated. Generally, I think the drs like to say 2 is a good age, but I'm not so sure that actually happens most of the time.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 12:35 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• how do u know they decided they are ready? with my lil bro we lived outside and he seen the dog peeing outside so he wanted to do that 2 so he was easy, and i, sure he was about 2 when that happened.
    TatymMommi

Answer by TatymMommi at 12:38 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I just trained my son he's 2 and 4 months. it only took about a week. My oldest son was also trained at 2. good luck!
    megmer

Answer by megmer at 12:42 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• They are ready when they can tell you they have to pee or poop. And if they find it uncomfortable to sit in a diaper with it.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 12:46 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• It all depends on when the child is ready. I was sure that my kids would be potty trained by the age of 3. I thought any child over 3 who wasn't potty trained it was because their mom was too lazy to potty train them. My first potty trained no problem, at 2 and a half. My second, very bright and very strong willed child did not us the potty until 4 yrs 2 mos.

I learned my lesson!

They will all do it in their own time!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:11 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I am a big proponent of toilet training by 2. I think a lot of parents wait for their kids to show all the "readiness signs" and by then they've actually missed the window for when it's easiest for them to train. In my opinion, waiting till kids are over two and therefore very strong-willed and set in their ways can actually cause some additional challenges that are at least as difficult as, if not more difficult than, the challenges of training a younger child. Here is an article that may interest you: http://www.arcamax.com/parents/s-424024-717629 My daughter trained at 19 months and it took about a week. She didn't show to many "readiness signs" and didn't know much about the potty before we started. I don't think it's a question of your son being more or less advanced developmentally. You as the parent have to be "ready" of course, to give your child this opportunity to learn something new. He should rise to meet you.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:27 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• We plan on potty training our son (just turned 9 months) pretty soon. There are some boards on here that talk about how to train a younger child. Most people wait until their child shows signs of wanting to be potty trained these days... leading to children in diapers until they are 2-3 years old or older! But around 50 years ago the average age to potty train was 15-18 months to be out of diapers. We expect he might need diapers at night for a longer time period... but if we could get him day trained it would be great!
    We are going to buy a potty to get him used it it now and then start this summer when DH is home all day with him and can bring him often... we'll see how it goes!!
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:30 PM on Apr. 15, 2009